Strange Fins...salt Or Maracyn Or Something Else?

Guest TBunny

Guest TBunny

Poor little Henry...I've posted a pic of him about 4 months ago and he looks like a healthy little guy. The second picture shows his whitish fins and like they've almost stopped growing. He use to have nice longs fins and now they barely exist. I have some Maracyn on hand and have been using Melafix for the past 2 days. Should I salt instead??

I treated for flukes w/Prazi about 3 months ago because Henry was bottom sitting. He no longer bottom sits and remains very active but is still not the same fishy I brough home in January. Thanks!

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.6

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) API dropper

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gallons 7 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? Emperor 350, 350 gallons per hour

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 2X a week 80%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 (fantail & oranda), both 3.5 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aquasafe

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Melafix

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? NO

[*]What do you feed your fish? ProGold, Omega One, & peas once a week

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Frayed fins on oranda and whitish tips

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? Oranda has turned bashful during feeding time

henrypoo.jpg

henry.jpg

Salt is always the safest place to start. If I were you, I would bring my water up to 0.3% salt in three doses (12 hours apart) and give that a week or so to work. Often times pristine water, 0.3% salt, a good diet, and low stress is enough to heal fin rot. Maracyn is a much bigger gun that you should reserve for situations where salt isn't enough.

Guest TBunny

Thanks Acupunk. Should I do a large water change to eliminate the Melafix? I assume I replace the salt when doing water changes? 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons

Yes, I would do a large water change to start. I have not used Melafix extensively, but I did use it once in my container pond and found it difficult to completely remove from the water (perhaps because of its oil-based ingredients?) One way or another it won't be unsafe to use salt along with a small amount of Melafix in the water.

0.1% salt is 1 tsp salt per gallon of water, 0.2% is 2 tsp per gallon, 0.3% is 3 tsp per gallon. One tablespoon equals three teaspoons, so one tablespoon per 5 gallons is less than 0.1%. It is important to note that volume doses of salt (like teaspoons and tablespoons) are based on coarse grained salt. If you are using fine grained salt, you would be better off to weigh the salt (with a postage or food scale). For a 20 gallon tank, 0.1% salt works out to approximately 2.5 ounces of salt.

This is calculated in the following way:

20 gallons = ~76 liters

0.1% salt = 1 gram salt per liter

76 grams = ~2.5 ounces

So do your water change and add 2.5 ounces of salt (dissolved first in a separate container). Wait 12 hours, then add another 2.5 ounces salt. Wait another 12 hours, then add the final 2.5 ounces salt. Whenever you do a water change replace the salt that you have removed. Keep a log of salt in and salt out -- it is very easy to lose track.

Do you need advice about what kind of salt to use? You can use aquarium salt, pickling salt, canning salt, or Solar Salt (for water softeners) from Home Depot. The main thing is to use a salt without any additives (such as iodine) or anti-caking agents (such as YPS).

Good luck.

Guest TBunny

Awesome...thank you Acupunk. I have some API aquarium salt so to be safe I'll just stick to using that brand. I'm hoping this will be the help he needs. :ill