Green Algae

Wondering whether any other folk who have decided to let green algae cover most of tank have changed their minds?

I had a problem with green algae and came on advice board where some folk said they liked it and left it to cover bottom and back of tanks, others liked ornaments covered with it because among other things it helped against nitrate levels.

I have tried, and must admit it has been hard cus I did'nt think it looked attractive but decided to percevere........................anyway have being doing water change this afternoon and have found it impossible to just change water without cleaning sides of tank................they looked so awful, I know it is considered normal and better for fish but was unable to not clean the tank....................this ended up in all ornaments being removed for cleaning.............................am I making big mistake? I must admit I like look of tank now it is part cleaned but loads of marks still apparent, guess will take a few weeks before really sorted

I used to let it just grow, but have now found that because of my water it has left mineral deposits on the glass which I cannot get off unless I use a scrpaer with safety blade, and even then its hard to get off and scrapes th glass making an awful sound!!

I have also realised where I had been scrubbing on the fotn glass, it has scratched it in places, meaning I find it very hard to get the algae off thse parts as they are in the glass so to speak! I dont min the green, its when it is brown I dont like it.

So I have also removed the stones and bleached them, and just keep on top of the algae growing now.

I dont think you made a mistake, if you didnt like it then its best removed.

I had let it grow all over the back/sides of my old tank, but when I moved my fish into their new clean tank I realized how much better it looked! :P

Don't get me wrong, the algae covering was great for helping with nitrates and the fish loved to munch on it, but I think to people looking at my tank who didn't know the purpose, it just looked really dirty and gross. Now I have a barebottom tank and I'm letting that grow over with algae. It's actually looking good so far, kind of like a little lawn :)

Yesterday, we added two (small) Cambomba (?) plants to our small tank. The two comets in their made quick work of the last plants we put in there, but so far they're leaving the new arrivals be. My girlfriend thinks it's because they prefer the green algae on the back of the tank. I hope so, otherwise the new plants don't have a prayer :wacko::P .