Compatability & Species Info - Any Advice?

Itachi

Heya

Where do i start? Earlier this year I had some drama with an oranda, fantail and a black moor - only the oranda survived. It has been about 3months it is healthy and no symptoms of disease/illness. Recently I was given a slightly larger and much nicer tank - i have cleaned it out and had it running for near a month to cycle it and prepare it for the transfer.

Here is where my questions are, some family friends have these really nice fish, small ones but are ALWAYS having babies, they called them "platty's" and "molly's." I don't want to breed them to sell them but to be honest would find it fascinating to watch the baby fish grow etc etc.

Does anyone know what these two types of fish ""platty's" and "molly's." are really called? And are the easy to look after?

I haven't decided if i should introduce the oranda into this fish tank with the expected-to-get fish above due to aggression but it attacked the last ones and don't know if i want to go through all that again (especially if i hope them to have babies)

If this is in the wrong topic board i apologise in advance and thank any help that can be offered :)

molly's and platy's (the fish types name) are very easy to look after, only trouble is, they are even easier to breed,

to be honest, myself won't go though it again, they breed so much a tank can get over stocked very quickly.

the novilty of watching baby fish grow will wear off after a year and, become a mojor problem if you can't give them to friends or maybe the lfs. (you will end up culling a lot of fry).

as for Compatability i would think the oranda would chase the fry if not the larger fish in the understanding, its a good proten source, but don't quote me on that 1, i tend to keep tropical and gold fish in seprate tanks although i know off people that do mix, i'm sure someone will come along to answere this question in more detail for you.

that is what they are called, platys and molleys. There are several variations of the these two fish ranging i n many different colors. They are generally peaceful fish.They are compatiable with regards to their behaviors. However molleys often require a higher level of salt in their water. Many molley species are found in brackish water systems. They do thrive in completely fresh water tanks but do much better with some salt in it. Platys do not prefer salt. I would not put your oranda with either fish. Goldfish prefer lower temperatures, sometimes the molleys/platys can pick on their tails, and eventually the goldfish can grow large enough to possibly eat them

Place your oranda with other orandas or ryukins, do not mx common goldfish with your oranda

When I first got back into goldfish keeping a couple years ago I did keep a common gf with platies, mollies, swordtails, gold barbs and tetras--

HPIM0452.jpg

One of the mollies chased my gf relentlessly and had to be removed. One of the swordtails also chased him around but not as much. Somebody--probably the tetras--nipped at his fins. Then the gf developed red streaks all over his body (septicemia) from stress and bacterial infection but I was able to cure him with medicated food. In the end I would say that mixing the goldy with tropicals was ok for the short term but not good for the long.

I agree with Spider Man. Besides all the reasons he pointed out, there is also knowing that the gf can give tropics different diseases than tropics usually get, ie: hole in the head disease.

Thank you for all the replies.

I realise that the oranda will chase the babies so would make alternative arrangements in that case. I am thinking i might give the oranda to a relative who has a large tank and a couple of them.

Thanks for your help though everyone. I will be sure to take it into consideration when making any decisions.

Sorry for the double post.

I can't remember, u know the fish that have the blue stripe and sort of "glow" are they compatible with the plattie's and/or mollies?

These are probably tetras you're talking about. Yes, they are fully compatible with platys and, aside from the brackish water preference for mollies, yes, with mollies too. If you want to discuss tropical fish further, you can probably get some good info from our tropical fish section. Tropical Fish Forum