Fish Jumped Out, Put Back In...not Doing Well

Guest anolan13

Guest anolan13

Hello,

I have two common goldfish in a 20 gallon tank...and their both ten years old. Their a part of the family really. Anyway, I came home this morning and my parents told me that they found one of my fish on the floor, they didn't know how long he'd been there, but could see his gills moving so they put him back in the tank. He wouldn't swim but with a little coaxing with a net he started to.

I've since inspected him, his eyes are "foggy", some of his scales seem lighter. His fins are more pressed towards his back and withdrawn. He swims, more than he normally does actually, but sometimes bumps into the sides of the tank and swims at a slight angle. His overall condition is worrysome to say the least, he is quite possibly dieing. My parents said they put some food in and he didn't eat and they added stress coat. When I came home I put fish oil I bought at the pet store in.

Tomorrow I plan on buying aquarium salt and perhaps melafix. I don't know what else to do. What kind of permanent damage are we talking about here? Will his physical condition improve? What do I do? Is there anything I should know?

Thank you!

Edited by anolan13

So sorry to hear about your fish. I've had this happen once before and understand how scary and worrisome this situation can be. I'm no expert, just here to learn; but I do know that to properly answer your question you will need to answer the questions in the big box above the topic. This way, everyone can see the "big picture" so to speak, and respond accordingly.

Do you have a test kit? When my fish jumped out, water quality was surely the cause, and once that was remedied, with some extra water changes and salt, he recovered. I would keep a close eye on your fish tonight.

Good luck with your goldfish! :heart

Edited by Desiree

Guest anolan13

Thank you for your response, to answer your questions....

I do not have a test kit, I never have, never seemed to have the need for one (I know, I should)

It is a 20 gallon tank, and these fish have been in it about 6 years.

I have one very large filter its a marineland

To be completely honest I don't change all the water too often, I normally just replace about 25% when it looks like it needs it.

There are 2 fish, they are of substantial size, but I have never measured them.

I put stress coat and ammo lock in when I change the water and I put some ?pimafix bay tree oil? in after i heard of all this

No new fish

I feed them tetrafin flakes, once a day.

Unusual things, like I said, fins are closer to the body. Scales seem lighter (he's gold) and the edges of all his fins seem lighter too. Swims at a slight angle, and more than he normally does, bumps into things. eyes are very foggy. Not eating either.

Hello anolan13 and :welcome

You really do need to get a drop testing kit. I also used to keep fish without testing, and couldn't figure out why my fish would just die, and when they were ill I would never know what caused it. Having 2 common goldies in a 20 gallon tank is overstocked as common goldfish need 20 gallons each, but having them in there well and healthy for 6 years I can understand why overstocking may not be the issue right now.

Fish will jump out of the tank due to water quality problems, and ph is usually a large factor. Until you get the tester I would do an immediate 75-80% water change, and make sure it is temperature matched and ph matched. If you can't get a tester right now you can take a sample of your water to the lfs and they will test it for you. Just be sure they give you exact numbers. Unfortunately they usually use strips that can be inaccurate.

I would not use the Melafix right now. Here at Koko's we call that "shotgun" medicating, and thats never good for your fish. I think you have a water quality issue and meds will not work in poor water quality and can in fact make things worse.

Here is a link with some good info:http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

Salting to 0.1% would not hurt anything as it will soothe your fish's gills, but right now pristine water and frequent water changes will help him tremendously.

Please get your water params and post back and we will be able to help you more specifically, and good luck! :)

Guest anolan13

I havn't tested the water yet....I know, but my fish is getting worse and I need help.

He now has Ick, fin/tail rot, popeye, possible gill diesiese, and is swimming around the tank frantically. I'm treating him for all of his problems, but he seems to be agitated...What should I do?

I'm starting to get worried...

Please help

How are you treating him for all these problems? Have you added medication to the tank? If so, that is probably the reason he is frantic -- water that contains fish waste plus medications can be very, very caustic and irritating to fish. If you've added multiple medications then the situation is exponentially worse.

Have you done the large water change that Vickie suggested? At this point the only hope of saving your fish is going to be this:

1. Remove the fish to a bucket filled with dechlorinated, temperature-matched water.
  2. Do a 100% water change to remove the toxic cocktail of medications in your tank. While you are removing the water with a siphon vacuum your gravel very, very thoroughly. There will be all kinds of crud in there because you have been just topping off your tank and not cleaning it.
  3. Refill the tank with dechlorinated, temperature-matched water.
  4. Return your fish to the tank.
  5. Get some aquarium salt and add 60 teaspoons to the water (dissolve it in a separate container first). This will create a 0.3% salt solution in your tank. Normally we like to gradually work up to this level of salt, but your situation is urgent and your fish will die if we don't act fast.
  6. Keep us posted and ask any questions.

Guest anolan13

I'm using coppersafe and Maracyn-tc. Which say they can be used together safely.

The other fish is not as frantic, so are we sure its the medication irritating the fish? He was getting like this before I put those in last night...I did change some of the water but not all of it

Edited by anolan13

Guest anolan13

Thank you very much for your responses,

But when I return the fish to the thank should I add the medication again? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but he definitely has bad tail rot as well as all those other problems that need to be fixed...

No, it is not a stupid question.

Please start with the aquarium salt only. Then get a testing kit and let us know what the water parameters are. The reason that this information is essential is that copper-based medications are toxic to fish when they are combined with water that is low in pH or high in ammonia.

If you have been just topping off your aquarium and not consistently removing and replacing water and cleaning the gravel, I can almost promise you that your pH is low. This is because the bacteria that break fish waste products down use up the minerals that buffer your water. This is the reason that the pH of any mature tank will gradually decrease over time. The only way to interrupt this decline in the pH is to remove some of the water from the tank and replace it with new water (which contains a new supply of mineral buffers). Depending on how hard your water is, a 25-50% water change weekly is required.

I have to tell you that the sick fish may be too far gone to save. Jumping out of the tank and laying on the floor for who knows how long is extremely stressful for a fish. I had a fish jump out of a pond several months ago and I did everything that I could for the fish for about a week. He eventually died with symptoms that are similar to what you are describing -- rotting fins, ich, very thick slime coat.

As I stated in my last post, I think you need to be realistic about the jumper's potential outcome. But you may be amazed at what 0.3% salt can do. It will wipe out ich within 24 hours and given some time it will clear up many cases of fin rot. The popeye suggests that your fish has an internal infection that would best be treated with medicated food. There is not time for you to mail-order the best options (Medigold or Metromeds from Goldfish Connection), but Jungle Brand Anti-Bacterial Food (available at most big box pet stores) would be better than nothing.

Guest anolan13

Update:

His swimming has declined tremendously, and I have made the decision to let him run his course. I'm going to stop medicating the tank, however I feel that taking him out of the tank would be uneeded stress at this point for him. He is going to die, I can just tell. I don't want to take him out and put him through that for him to die, say in the bucket or just after getting back in the tank. I also have to wiegh this situation from a financial aspect about keeping my goldfish alive with different products. I understand that the water quality could make him uncomfortable as well as medication. I am currently treating the water for ammonia and as I said will stop medicating. I also plan on changing the filters.

It's in natures hands now, he's in bad shape all we can hope for is that he gets out of it...

Thank you so much for all your suggestions and posts, know that I took everyone of them with a serious approach

Hopefully you understand my decision and thank you,

Anolan, we all have decisions to make based on financial and other issues - we all have been there at one point or the other. :)

How is the fish today? Has he made it so far? Were you able to at least put salt into the tank? It isn't a medication per se, more like a stress reducing tonic, and at about $ 1.50 for a 4 lb container in the grocery store really inexpensive and useable for quite a nice range of parasites. Its the rock salt or ice cream salt, not cooking salt, though. :)

Just remember that the fish has jumped for a reason, and it might happen again with another one if you don't dig and find out why it happened. :)