Worried About My Golfish

Guest fshmt

Guest fshmt

hi,

My goldfish seems to be in very bad shape.

I searched google, this site and many other sites and found nothing similar to what he has.

He has gone completely pale in the past week, now he is white (a little transparent in some places) and his head area,

right between and above his eyes is completely red, like he's bleeding internally is his brain! He also seems to be struggling for air,

he is swimming but not as well as he used to,a little slower, floating a little too high with his mouth almost above the water.

please help? it's scary to look at him like this, with his red bloody head and pale body

Hi I'm very sorry to hear that your fish is not doing well! It's great that you found this site. There are sooo many people on here that are really helpful. They've helped me a bunch of times with my fish.

The most important thing right now is for the moderators and members of this board to have a little more information. There is a box at the top of the page. I'll post it in here. If you could copy and paste the box and then fill out as many questions as you can, it would be really helpful. A lot of times the water quality has a lot to do with what is going on with the fish. If you don't have a water testing kit, (a lot of people don't when they first come on this board), I suggest buying one. They have dropper kits and strips, and typically the dropper kits are much more accurate. You can find them at most pet stores. It's important to know the levels of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph in your tank. If you can't afford a kit right now, then most stores will test the water for you for free. Just make sure to ask them what the numbers are, not just "oh your water is fine!". Actual numbers are very important.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?

[*]What do you feed your fish?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..?

Someone with a more experience than myself should be along soon. I hope your fish is okay. I know what you mean about it being hard to see them in so much pain. Good luck with everything! Welcome to Koko's!!!!

I wanted to post that real quick, but I also have one thing to ask that's very important. When was your last water change, and how much water did you change out? When my fish were sick, and in most cases when fish are sick, fresh clean water can be the best help for them. It's important to remember to use something to dechlorinate the water, and it's also important to match the temperature of the water. A slight change in water temperature can be a big deal to fish. Most likely one of the first things that will be recommended to you after you know what your test results are, will be a water change. Depending on the results possibly a very large water change. I am passing along information that I have learned from the members on here, and like I said, one of them should be with you very shortly to give your better instructions and advice! : )