Sign in to follow this  
Guest hoangphan

Chocolate Oranda With Bloody Fins

Guest hoangphan

It'll be a month, maybe two before it's done. I've heard of people keeping them in 55 gallons throughout the entire winter with no problem, or is that misinformation?

This has been done, but I wouldn't keep them with your regular goldfish. Could you possibly go to your local farm equipment store and get a stock tank? This would be somewhat more room.

Returning your oranda is going to be kind of redundant as if HE has flukes, then the rest of your fish in the tank do, also. I have Parasite Clear onhand in case of an emergency as I can't afford the Prazi right now, but I was advised against using it for flukes. It has many ingredients, including an antibiotic, that the fish don't need and that could cause more harm than good.

If I were you, I'd go with the salt until you get the Prazi. www.goldfishconnection.com has it, as well as Drs. Foster and Smith.

Guest hoangphan

Yeah, I really can't afford to get much else, I'm kind of hitting budget getting the Prazi as it is. But I just ordering I'm going to the two lfs and seeing if they got it. As for now, my tank is salted to 0.02%, the water is a little cloudy, but I'm guessing that is from the salt?

I've never seen water get cloudy from a little salt. I recommend that you test your water, because with all those fish it should only take a few days for enough waste to build up to need a water change.

Guest hoangphan

I did a water change before adding the salt, I think if I mess with the substrate and such too much then the water gets a little cloudy, will do tests tomorrow morning and see how the stats are.

You're welcome to check but I don't think Prazi is available in the lfs. I believe you have to order it online. And if disturbing your gravel causes your water to cloud up, that means that you need a very thorough gravel cleaning. I'd remove the fish while you do this as they shouldn't breathe that mess, or do sections at a time if removing them isn't an option. Your gravel can harbor very nasty bacs, which is why I don't use it. Its just a personal choice, though.

Guest hoangphan

OK, so, I did the water tests and everything's stayed pretty much the same. The big chain LSF's didn't have it, but near my grandma's there's this little pet store which I decided to go into and checkout. They had it! So now, I'm starting the dosage and I really do need to do a thorough gravel cleaning, I've only done minor ones for a year :D Bad, I know.

How are things now, Hoangphan? :)

Guest hoangphan

Wow, sorry I haven't been on in so long! They are doing great! Turns out that the red was apparently inflamed blood vessels from the algaecide I was using. After a week it healed and everything got better! Only thing is...now I got extra meds and I don't plan on getting any more fishes. The kois are also now in a pond, yay.

Congratulations on getting the koi into the pond so quickly! I am happy to hear the chocolate oranda is doing well now also -- sure is a pretty fish!

You may want to treat your koi in the pond with the Prazi -- apprently flukes are common in ponds and I think I read that they are carried by birds, but anyway most people treat their ponds twice a year for flukes as a preventative measure. I read that somewhere when thinking about building a pond.