Practical Fish Keeping Magazine

I never usually buy PFK as it's usually too tropical or marine centred for my liking. However whilst doing the weekly shop yesterday the cover showing a gorgeous oranda caught my eye and I had to buy the magazine.

I don't know if it's me, but personally the article reads as though the writer didn't really want to write about goldies. The opening lines of the article is 'Love 'em or hate 'em' and the article also states ?aquarium with a probable net volume of 123L/27gal will support a maximum of 69cm/27" of fish. That is about five adult fancies, long term.'

The rest of the article just talked about decor, filtration, feeding and SBD. But it was the above statement then got me really riled. In total my Pearlscale, Ryukin, Oranda and Ranchu total roughly 27inch of fish, but I wouldn't keep them in a 27gal, not only would it be grossly over crowded, but they would have no room to swim or to turn. I've recently had to purchase a larger tank for my Pearl as she has even outgrown her old 40gal.

Therefore I was wondering where PFK have sourced the above figure from, and is 5inch really the average size that goldies grow to?

Apart from the above, there was one very interesting thing about buoyancy problems that the article mentioned. I?m not totally sure it is correct or not, but it said ?The more frozen foods that you feed, like bloodworm and Daphnia, the more buoyancy problems are kept at bay. If your have varieties prone to these, like Pearlscales, sinking dry foods combined with frozen foods is the right choice?

Personally I?ve never heard that feeding your fish frozen foods can help with floaty problems, also I have always thought the risks or feeding your fish frozen foods outweigh the benefits, for example parasites etc.

Sorry if I?m showing my ignorance on this part, but it just stuck me as strange that?s all.

If anyone wants to read the article I?m more then willing to scan the pages.

I get PFK every month and was quite excited that they were doing a goldfish special. It was a bit disappointing though, an I agree with you that thee figure for the number of fish in a 27 gallon tank is wrong. I think I might pose that question on their forum to see what they say, could start an interesting discussion!

I think the comment about the frozen food is that it wont contains as much air as dried food does (?), and froozen food can be safe if bought from a good brand, one brand uses gamma ray to make sure that all pathogens are killed. I havent had problems with froozen foods.

Hi Claire, Thank you for your reply.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that was disappointed with the 'Goldfish special' of the magazine. I was really looking forward to reading it as other PKF mags that I have read, are written with such passion and care that it's hard not to feel the writer?s passion on the subject. But the Goldfish article was a little lack lust (for me anyway).

Let me know how it goes on the PFK forum.

As for Frozen foods, I've never used frozen foods before, mainly because I have always thought that they where a risk but I may now have to look into them.

A number of years ago, they had a similar issue - I eagerly bought it and saved it to read on a particularly boring airplane trip. I think the articles from the one I had and the one you have are carbon copies.

The one inch of fish per gallon rule is a REALLY OLD one, perpetrated by word of mouth by people who raise small tropicals and such, and believe that goldfish are children's pets that require soooooooooo little that a 4 year old can drop one in a bowl and keep it healthy. The writer obviously does not keep goldfish - nor does he/she know anyone that does. That is sad - for to do a job correctly, footwork and some research is needed. You would have thought that the author would have at least called up someone who kept goldfish!

What theyare missing is the tremendous worldwide goldfish culture- one that is part of so many cultures. Goldfish worth 100s of thousands of dollars. Competition. Beautful genetics. A history of 1000s of years. It goes on and one - and would fill the entire issue with facinating info for the general public. It is very sad that the writer really failed at their assignment. That is like writing a book report by reading a Cliff's Notes - or by talking to a friend that read the Cliff's Notes. It is unforgiveable in my opinion.

All too often, I find that articles written in "interest" magazines are poorly researched and poorly written. It is really too bad. :(

Hi peanuts, there is already a discussion about this months PFK, if you go on there it is quite interesting, 2nd page someone writes some quite good points.

Well, I feel foolish! Just goes to show.... when we go out of town, we lose every bit of continuity on this board!!!! :)

So, for simplicitty's sake, where is the other thread? I will merge them.....

Thanks. :ignore

Daryl: Yes the posts that Claire mentioned are on PFK's website. One of the posters has raised some really good points about the article but the others seem to have missed them. Which is a shame, but not unexpected.

The PFK site always seems too tropical and Marine based for my liking and Goldfish are thought of as 'lesser fish'. However that is my opinion and I could be wrong.

I really would love to read an article that dove deeply into the Goldfish history, like Darly stated above, if it talked about the different breeds and their origins. Especially the more ?rare? breeds like the Tosakin?s. Goldfish showing, colours etc.

Maybe we should start our own magazine, create it as a PDF and sell it to raise funds for kokos? :D

sorry about that Daryl, I must have been half asleep or something.

I have read a number of posts over there recently, and they do bring a good point up- there is conflict between what the mag says and what is said by writers/editors on the forums.

There is a GF section, but not very much goes on on there, which is a shame.

I didn't read the article so I can't comment on it specifically but it sounds to me like it suffers from a pretty common phenomenon. A lot of "fish people" just don't think very highly of goldfish. I've been told outright that keeping goldfish in a large tank is a waste of a tank and I should get rid of them and get something cool like cichlids. My locally owned lfs that I'd much rather support than my chain store has tons of lovely cichlids, tropicals and marine but they have maybe 1 tank of not very healthy looking goldfish stuck in a corner "for the kiddies". Even on other general fish forums it seems like if someone posts a goldfish picture there always has to be at least one comment on how goldfish are a waste of space.

Personally I keep a variety of fish and of all of them my goldfish are the most petlike. Cichlids are cool I'm not going to deny that. They have that intelligent inquisitiveness and many are very lovely, but personally I think that goldfish possess both of those qualities without the aggression that cichlids so often have. Currently I have 2 keyhole cichlids and an orange chromide so I'm in no way a cichlid hater. It just seems like when I mention my goldfish tank I get rolled eyes and then they're suddenly interested again when I mention that I have a brackish tank. I just blow it off and say to each their own and then come read koko's :)

• 3 weeks later...
I didn't read the article so I can't comment on it specifically but it sounds to me like it suffers from a pretty common phenomenon. A lot of "fish people" just don't think very highly of goldfish. I've been told outright that keeping goldfish in a large tank is a waste of a tank and I should get rid of them and get something cool like cichlids. My locally owned lfs that I'd much rather support than my chain store has tons of lovely cichlids, tropicals and marine but they have maybe 1 tank of not very healthy looking goldfish stuck in a corner "for the kiddies". Even on other general fish forums it seems like if someone posts a goldfish picture there always has to be at least one comment on how goldfish are a waste of space.

Personally I keep a variety of fish and of all of them my goldfish are the most petlike. Cichlids are cool I'm not going to deny that. They have that intelligent inquisitiveness and many are very lovely, but personally I think that goldfish possess both of those qualities without the aggression that cichlids so often have. Currently I have 2 keyhole cichlids and an orange chromide so I'm in no way a cichlid hater. It just seems like when I mention my goldfish tank I get rolled eyes and then they're suddenly interested again when I mention that I have a brackish tank. I just blow it off and say to each their own and then come read koko's :)

:exactly Imber, you described me to a tee. At least the old GF stupid me. Trops were my specialty and I never learned about GFs until now, and I even have one, Elvis, who is 10yo. Lucky for me he is such a survivor (or part cat with 9 lives) or he would have died from my stupidity a long time ago.

Now, not only do I know better, I want to know more. :)

Guest Danicole

Sooooo true! I got that on a saltwater forum I was on. I was thinking about putting my 2 living(at the time) goldies in a 40 gallon breeder and putting my reef tank into my 55(of course I have since decided to not up the salt tank from its 10 gallon and to scrap the 55 entirely) because I was saving for a 40 breeder for my salt tank. Before I decided to stick with(at the time) saving for a 40 breeder so I could give the goldies more room, I got this back "I dont know how expensive those goldfish really are, but I would not let them interfere with your reefkeeping decisions." followed by him telling me to give them a smaller home and go with the bigger tank for the reef. Basically, goldfish are cheap, so they're less important than getting a tank that is smaller but would look better in the long run.

I hear that stuff all too often. In my town you can get ok goldies from the big pet chain stores. The two LFS have 1 maybe 2 tanks of goldies and they are always sick. I actually had my son's teacher tell me in a nice way that most people use big tanks (my 150 gallon) for saltwater and not goldies. It is sad. Thank goodness for goldfish shows and forums where us weirdos and can enjoy our waste of space inferior fish.

My perspective, based on my stereotyping (and I emphasis "stereotyping") and peoples' perceptions in general: It's my opinion that cichlids (and piranhas and pacus and arowanas, etc.) are the "rottweilers and pit bulls" of the fish world. They are "tough" fish that reflect the "toughness" of the owner. And it seems that some people just have this need to prove they're "tough." Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that ALL owners of these type of fish have that attitude, but, hopefully, you know what I mean and where I'm going with this. Next, saltwater fish are the cadillacs, the rolls royces, the lamborghinis of the fish world. They say "I'm better. I'm at the top of the class." Again, I'm stereotyping. Not everyone is this way, so again, hopefully, you understand. And finally, again, stereotype and false perceptions, Goldfish are the "mutts" of the fish world. Goldfish are K-Mart and Wallmart and the Price Club. We shop there, but we don't want anyone to know we do. Admitting you keep goldfish is like admitting K-Mart is your favorite store. To those who don't understand. So, these tough guys, these status seekers, need to put on the front that they only keep "cool" fish. So, it follows that it isn't worth the time to even give goldfish a second thought. Which is why most people don't understand them nor take the time to understand them. But, they still want to be the "expert," so, when asked, they apply the same fishkeeping standards to goldfish as they do other fish. It's sad that, when a magazine or periodical wants to do a piece on a specific fish, they don't actually get an expert on that specific fish, but, instead, get self-proclaimed experts who are doing the "faking it" thing. Goldfish are the most misunderstood fish there is. What will it take to get people knowledgeable about goldfish? Who knows? When the knowledge-dispersing media won't do it........ well..... until we move goldfish from the strip mall to Rodeo Drive, they'll continue to be misunderstood. Koko? I actually REALLY liked Peanuts suggestion about starting your own magazine... yeah... a lot of work!

Guest Danicole

When I make it big(yeah RIGHT! In my DREAMS maybe!) I'm planning on doing(besides a nice big planted tank, some 10-30-ish gallon betta tanks and a salt tank and a cichlid one ;) ) a big goldfish tank too. At least 200 gallons(that'd be about right for 10 fancies with tons of space left over!) I already have it planned out now even ^_^

I also guess I don't fit yet another stereotype! I loooove oscars, and some other random sorts of cichlids(and only gave away my last O because instead of being an underwater puppy he was an underwater hide and seek game after I had him for 3 months) too, but I don't think I am tough at all. And don't need to come off that way(I adore pitts too, because they're sweethearts) And I have a 10 gallon saltwater tank(that I really want to upgrade but have no space to!) but I am definitely not the rich sort :D

Does anyone know who wrote the article? I thought they had one guy who wrote for them who bred goldfish, or at least owned them for a long time, though I admit I am probably thinking of another mag.

lynda, i totally know what you mean...everytime i stop by the goldfish tanks at w-mart...the fish guys just laugh and ask when i'm going to get a 'real' fish. and then they talk about how they just fed a feeder goldie to the oscars and it was sooo cool. i just laugh and tell them someday they'll stop overcompensating for things that theyre lacking (mainly their manhood) and see how cool goldies are. i also go online to goldfish connection at work and check out the auction...and everyone sees the gorgeous goldfish selling for HUGE amounts of money. i think im slowly starting to change the perception of some of the people at work.

lynda, i totally know what you mean...everytime i stop by the goldfish tanks at w-mart...the fish guys just laugh and ask when i'm going to get a 'real' fish. and then they talk about how they just fed a feeder goldie to the oscars and it was sooo cool. i just laugh and tell them someday they'll stop overcompensating for things that theyre lacking (mainly their manhood) and see how cool goldies are. i also go online to goldfish connection at work and check out the auction...and everyone sees the gorgeous goldfish selling for HUGE amounts of money. i think im slowly starting to change the perception of some of the people at work.

I know what you mean (all of you :) ). The pet stores in Belgium seem to be a little better: they usually have at least a couple of goldfish tanks and depending on the store most of them are in relatively good shape. We have two or three pet stores that the frequent, and the people there don't even flinch when you mention that you keep goldfish; they're happy to offer the advice that they can (though as always they tend to understimate the needs of gf a smaller of larger amount). We're planning to attend a (our first, getting-to-know) meeting of a local aquarium society. When we went to visit them at the local bar which is basically their HQ, they did tend to flinch when we mentioned our goldfish, so I get it's not a general rule in Belgium.

At work, we're rather lucky (but given that we are professional biologists that might not be less suprising), because at least a few of our collegues are also (gold)fish keepers (Isilme for one :D ), reptile keepers, insect keepers or something similar, so at least there is more of a I like my pets because I like'm attitude, instead of it being a status symbol of sorts :) .

Used to get PFK to my door every month. No matter what fish you keep i still think its a really good read with lots of tips and tricks what will help you. not had it for some time as ive not fish for some years now... sob sob.. must go buy it again... for that matter must try and set some tanks up this year :)