ok ....so a used stuff store went up in town next to my friends pizza shop ..well they have a 40g long ...no hoods and no filter ..but he said I could have it for 40$ ..(it's has oddball demensions) it's short like a 10g, long in lenght ,and wide in depth..do you think I may have troubles finding a hood ??? (I wish I knew the exact measurments but I didn't ask)....I need another tank Like a hole in the head :rolleyes: ...but you never know what might pop up ...I like to be prepared :blink: ......you know ....for new fish .. :blink:

Wow! Sounds like a good deal.

If you can't find a hood, I'm sure I saw a post recently with some ideas on a DIY top. Oh, yeah, this one:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...st&p=782304

I'm still waiting for a decent deal on a 30 gallon tank. I look at craigslist everyday, but around here everyone wants to sell you the whole kit, stand included for 100s. I could get a brand new one for 75, hood included, but I was really hoping to go cheaper.

:D ...thanks Claire...you are now suppose to say .."FOR HEAVEN SAKE GIRL WHERE ON EARTH ARE YOU GOING TO PUT THAT!!!!!"...

That's a husband's job.

I'm the evil goldfish addict enabler! BWAA HAA HAA!! :lol2

:D ...thanks Claire...you are now suppose to say .."FOR HEAVEN SAKE GIRL WHERE ON EARTH ARE YOU GOING TO PUT THAT!!!!!"...

That's a husband's job.

:rofl ....I was amazed he didn't say no...I am even wondering if he was even listening ...oh well I sure will get his attention when I bring it home :yeah: that will teach him to pretend to listen when he is not!!!!!!...now there is TWO reasons on why I should get this tank :lol2

That's a husband's job.

:rofl ....I was amazed he didn't say no...I am even wondering if he was even listening ...oh well I sure will get his attention when I bring it home :yeah: that will teach him to pretend to listen when he is not!!!!!!...now there is TWO reasons on why I should get this tank :lol2

I almost feel sorry for the poor guy. Almost :lol2:rofl

Hahaha, I'm planning on sneeking over my QT tank this week and just not saying anything to my bf until he notices, :D

As for the hood for you oddball tank, I'm sure you'll find something. My 50 gallon is oddball as well, I bought one for a narrower tank so there's about a 3 inch gap in the back...which is fine because it gives me lots of room for filters.

The standard dimensions of a 40 gallon long tank are 36 long x 18 deep x 13 high, meaning that you would need a top that was 36 x 18. There are other tanks that require a top that size, but they are also all odd-ball set-ups (such as 50 tall, 70 tall, and 90 tall) so you might have a hard time finding something off the shelf. I don't know if there is any standard size tank that is 36 inches in length. You could work with a hood that was the wrong dimension depth-wise, but you would have to find something that was right length-wise. Www.glasscages.com has a hinged glass top for a 40 gallon long for $25, but I don't know if they ship to Canada. You might call your LFS and see if they can special order you a top that size.

The standard dimensions of a 40 gallon long tank are 36 long x 18 deep x 13 high, meaning that you would need a top that was 36 x 18. There are other tanks that require a top that size, but they are also all odd-ball set-ups (such as 50 tall, 70 tall, and 90 tall) so you might have a hard time finding something off the shelf. I don't know if there is any standard size tank that is 36 inches in length. You could work with a hood that was the wrong dimension depth-wise, but you would have to find something that was right length-wise. Www.glasscages.com has a hinged glass top for a 40 gallon long for $25, but I don't know if they ship to Canada. You might call your LFS and see if they can special order you a top that size.

I am wondering now that you mention the standard dimensions if that is what it is ..because it seem the depth is greater than it's highth..thanks a bunch !!!!!! :heart ..

and Chrissy I love the way you think!! :rofl

and Chrissy I love the way you think!!

Hehehe, I can be sly when I need to be ;)

Jim (the bf) is actually really enjoying the goldies. He always watches me feed them and asks me all kinds of cute questions about them. He does refer to George as ...that big black (insert bad word here) but in a loving way :rofl .....I can't really blame him, George did seriously injure one of my fish when we moved here, so he didn't get a very good first impression!

Guest Ranchu Addict

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but you could have glass cut at a glass shop to fit your tank. I've done it on a few tanks and it came out cheaper than buying the hoods online if you can't find them locally. 40.00 is a great deal for a tank that size.

Pssh, if your HOBs don't fit then it's a good indication that you should build a canister filter.

Or, as Thomas adds, a sump. While I'm at it, he'd probably turn the oddball 40 gal into a planted sump for a gigantic 210gal or something. Men! :rolleyes:

Pssh, if your HOBs don't fit then it's a good indication that you should build a canister filter.

Or, as Thomas adds, a sump. While I'm at it, he'd probably turn the oddball 40 gal into a planted sump for a gigantic 210gal or something. Men! :rolleyes:

your right!! MEN!! ...only my hubby would use it to drain Oil into :blink:

ooooowwww......im telling! ok. im leaving before i get yelled at. hope that you get the tank heidi, sounds like a breeder tank that i want ( and not for oil ). i going back to "my" couch now...i still have a full size one. women, taking away couches.........im still grumbling......

Senario in our new home, starring an empty tank and Erinaceus.

I think that one day in that tank there would be a black moor from the 'fish fairy' :rofl

I think that one day in that tank there would be a black moor from the 'fish fairy' :rofl

Miki, you're the Fish Fairy? Three years, and now I find out!?

:P:rofl

Miki, you're the Fish Fairy? Three years, and now I find out!?

:P:rofl

Keep it quiet, it is my secret identity :rofl