Water Conditioner

Guest SeRiOuS

Guest SeRiOuS

I have a 16 litre tank and my local store said that chlorine in tap water kills fish so he convinced me to buy this water conditioner and i dont want my fish to die so does anyone know how much i need to put in and if it helps i have 2 goldfish.

welcome to koko's!

usually there are directions on the back of the bottle that tell you how much to put in.

however, if my calculations are correct, you have approximately a 4 gallon tank which is definitely not big enough for one goldfish, let alone two. goldfish, depending on their type, need from 10 to 20 gallons (about 38 to 75 liters) of water to live healthy, happy lives. if you've just gotten your tank, it might be better to either return the goldfish and go for a tropical fish or two, or return the tank and upgrade to a larger one more suitable for goldfish.

although they start out tiny, goldfish really are big fish and need a LOT of room to grow. their bodies produce and expel toxins into the water much faster than other fish and this poisons their water if they aren't in a big enough tank and their water isn't changed enough.

koko's is a great place to start learning about taking care of fish..look through the forums and if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!

let us know how everything works out! :)

welcome to koko's!

usually there are directions on the back of the bottle that tell you how much to put in.

however, if my calculations are correct, you have approximately a 4 gallon tank which is definitely not big enough for one goldfish, let alone two. goldfish, depending on their type, need from 10 to 20 gallons (about 38 to 75 liters) of water to live healthy, happy lives. if you've just gotten your tank, it might be better to either return the goldfish and go for a tropical fish or two, or return the tank and upgrade to a larger one more suitable for goldfish.

although they start out tiny, goldfish really are big fish and need a LOT of room to grow. their bodies produce and expel toxins into the water much faster than other fish and this poisons their water if they aren't in a big enough tank and their water isn't changed enough.

koko's is a great place to start learning about taking care of fish..look through the forums and if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!

let us know how everything works out! :)

good job Liz! Liz is correct in what she says... you do need to think about getting a larger tank; at least 20 gallons as Liz said. As far as your water conditioner, there will be directions on the bottle, but bottom line, you really can't overdose on dechlorinator/stress coat, so if you err, err on the side of too much, rather than too little.

Guest SeRiOuS

i dont have enough money for a bigger one and my goldfish are still very small so i dont think ill be changing my tank.....however the instructions on the back are just unclear its that sera aquatan if you know please post i dont want ppl telling me to change fish or change tank.

• 3 weeks later...

You may not want to hear people telling you to change the tank, but it is true that the current confines are too small for their healthy growth and development. You started off saying you don't want your fish to die, well harming them slowly isn't much better than killing them quickly.

They're small, so you don't need to do it right now, but you do need to know its something you will need to do. Even if they seem healthy, their small confines are not healthy and can lead to long term problems down the road.

I looked for the brand of conditioner you mention and don't see anything. Perhaps you should try contacting the company that makes it, or going back to the store and asking. Chances are you don't need much - something like a teaspoon (5 mL) or two, but you should find out.