Help With Water Changes

Okay, one more for tonight. I did a fifty percent water change tonight (the last one was Sunday). My tank is small (a ten gallon), but as I learned from here I am overstocked with an inch and a half Pearlscale and an inch and a half Runykin. So, I'm working to save towards a larger home, but until them I am working to keep this clean as possible.

When I do my water changes (this is only the first week and a half of the tank so it is all new), I syphon the gravel then add water. I only had one gallon set aside, so the others I checked the temp. and added dechlorinater and added to the tank. My fish seemed overly active after the water change. There was some shimmying, but kind of all over the place with some side twists and turns. Then lots of bottom scavanging and coming up quickly to the surface. They seem fine now, but I wonder if I did something wrong or were they just hungry or enjoying the fresh tank?

Also, my tank has gravel a collection of plastic plants and a sword plant. Do I need to move the plastic plants when I clean or just on occasion? I know from other threads not to move the live plants and I hope to add at least one more.

Thanks everyone!

It sounds like you did the water change correctly. Sometimes fish just get 'excited' when you give them fresh water, especially if what you took out was bad (had high ammonia or nitrite). As for the plants, it's fine..actually more than fine, to move them. If you don't gunk will build up around them and you don't want that.

Just curious, do your fish 'shimmy' a lot? Have you thought about treating for flukes?

Hi - I just answered on your other thread but will post again as I see your tank is new.

Questions:

Did you test your water before the change? What were the readings? Can you post them here? Ammomia, nitrite nitrate and PH?

What is the PH out of your tap?

Did you try to match the temperature of the new water going in? Fish will often shimmy if they are plunged into a different temperature. They also dislike a change in PH which is why it would be good to know the tank and tap results.

Welcome to the board, by the way.

you doing great by these water changes. When you siphon your tank and clean your gravel I would only siphon half the gravel one week and then the other half the following week. This way you maintain the beneficial bacteria growing in the gravel. I would also move the plastic plants and siphon under them and around them, a lot of substrate can hang in those plants. Get yourself a good test kit and monitor your water conditions weekly.

Hi everyone. Thanks again. My husband teased me for being so worried, but they were just acting weird. I can't put my finger on it, but there was much more activity, almost dancing and gulping at the airline. There are a few problems that I can think of. One is that I did the wrist test on the water temp. instead of using my new themometer. I noticed that the temp. dropped about two degrees (probably it is more affected as it is a small tank). That probably is what stressed them. The other is that I probably should "age" all of the water I need instead of just the gallon I had to make sure it is properly degassed. I've had the tank for a week and two days. And I have had the water tested twice. They gave me the numbers (which I don't remember now), but I do know that the last test was at the best it could be according to the guy. Of course, that was right after the water change. I need to go out and get a test kit. And I should test it before the water changes to decide how much to take out???They pretty much never shimmy (except occasionlly the new guy, but he does it when he is in a vertical position hunting the gravel for food so I think it is for better positioning). I just read two books on goldfish care and am now looking (probably obssessively:) for anything that could go wrong. What other signs should I look for for flukes? Shoot, I forgot one more. Is twenty-five percent change twice a week enough in this tank that is small and I know overstocked (two inch and a half goldfish for a ten gallon)? I'm nervous to change too much at one time.

Don't be worried about taking too much water out. Smaller tanks that are over stocked will need more water removing then larger ones that are understocked.

I started out with two fish in a 5gal, which needed 50% water removing every day.

It's a learning curve that we all need to go through, I've only been keeping fish for just over 2 yrs and i'm still learning new things everytime I visit kokos. Your in the right place for Goldie information! :nana

I have a 38G tank with three fish in it and I do 80% w/c twice a week.

I'm thinking about doing 80% w/c daily because I'm just bored. :D

Big w/c are always good for the fish.

I think my girlfriend would mind w/c's 2x per week, but it's just not doable with respect to time :wacko:

I think my girlfriend would mind w/c's 2x per week, but it's just not doable with respect to time :wacko:

As long as you have the right equipments for w/c's. They are very easy and quick to carry out.

I spend 15 mins for each w/c that I perform on my 38g. It would be quicker if I have a larger water storage tank.

I have a 38G tank with three fish in it and I do 80% w/c twice a week.

I'm thinking about doing 80% w/c daily because I'm just bored. :D

Big w/c are always good for the fish..

You must be bored:) I like doing water changes, too unless they freak out like they did that one time and scare me. But I'm starting to think that maybe they really needed the change and were just excited. I'm now trying to do around 25% to 40% percent three times a week. Hopefully, that will be good for two goldfish in a ten gallon.

I'm looking at a forty gallon hopefully next week, but am trying to see what kind of filter is on there. It is used. The only problem is that she wants to trade for my ten gallon and I need that while the other tank is cycling. I was hoping to have an isolation tank as well.

As long as you have the right equipments for w/c's. They are very easy and quick to carry out.

I spend 15 mins for each w/c that I perform on my 38g. It would be quicker if I have a larger water storage tank.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been able to improve my girlfriends efficiency (she's the on doing the w/c's, I 'assist' where needed), but when we move to our own place, we should be able to make some more improvements. At the moment, it's adding the new water that takes the most time.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been able to improve my girlfriends efficiency (she's the on doing the w/c's, I 'assist' where needed), but when we move to our own place, we should be able to make some more improvements. At the moment, it's adding the new water that takes the most time.

Most of the time I find the w/c relaxing. The fact that the 70 is in the garage at the moment makes it very difficult to get the hood of, I can't wait till it will be on its permanent place.

bit of topic: the little ones have over-eaten themselves on algae and plant. Poo doesn't lie :blink:

Edited by Quasi