Small Tank For Photos?

Nomi

Well, I'm sure we are all familiar with the on-going struggle good or even decent pictures of our beloved aquatic companions. I certanly have had little luck with taking pictures of my bunch in their tank. So I've decided to have a small container (about a gallon) in which to take pictures, since I need references for some drawings, and also to check up and measure my fish (ok, and I like photography and my fish). Now, I'm not sure how to go about this. Of course I would do it during the weekly water change, using the old tank water, and the goldfish would not be in there for more than a few minutes. I plan to set up a black background (a black cloth) and have some good lighting (a flashlight). Hopefully this will help me produce better photos. Now, how would I prepair this photo tank for my fish, would washing it in tank water (no soap) be sufficiant to make sure it is clean? I plan to use a cup to transfer the fish. Is there anything I am missing? Does anyone else have a set up similar to this? Will this be ok for my fish?

I often put my fish in a large bowl to check growth, investigate abnormalities, or give the fish a "once-over" to make sure she's in good health. I take lots of pictures, too. I just scoop up water from the tank and move the fish with my fish moving cup (you know you're addicted when you have different cups for different fish-keeping purposes!).

I think so long as you put them into a clean tank (definitely no soap! You can disinfect using a light bleach solution and then rinse the heck out of it) you should be fine. If you plan on leaving them in there for more than a few minutes (max. 30 mins, I'd say), I would also stick in an airstone.

A lot of professional fish photographer do it that way - sticking the fish into a smaller tank, maybe nicely decorated with a beautiful background and some fancy plant or ornament. I have a 5 gl tank which I sometimes use for picture taking. My fish are just too big to fit into anything smaller. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the advice. As it turns out, I found out the container I was using was leaking pretty badly, so I only have a few pics I took before I figured it out and put Ophelia back in the tank. I ended up just taking pictures of my girl in the bowl I was using to scoop her out.

I have thought of doing that but then decided it would be to stressful on the fish for me to chase them around to net them to put them in something else.

I have a 2 1/2 gallon empty glass tank that would work perfect but....

Edited by Hidr