Feeding Lettuce

drkslvr

Any experience here feeding lettuce? I'd read that it's good for them to have the fiber once in a while, but my goldfish don't seem too interested. I tried once before, but didn't realize to blanch it. so i tried again this morning, but didn't have any better luck. romane lettuce both times. Tchakovsky (I can't even spell my own fish's name!) tried to nibble on it right after i put it in, but couldn't figure out how to bite off a piece and lost interest. About an hour later, Tolstoy took a coulple bites, but decided he didn't like it. I'm pretty sure that's all the action the lettuce saw all day. it's still in there, but there are no bites out of it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Guest Montman

I tried feeding mine chopped spinach.

They weren't too interested. Ate a little but didn't go into a frenzie over it.

They do love peas though.

Have you tried that?

my common LOVES spinach. i figured it would have to be more of an acquired taste for them but i stuck a leaf in there anyways and he went WILD. he was ripping and tearing and wriggling and wouldnt let anyone else near it at first. after he got the first few choice morsels, he decided to share. i think it really depends on what each fish prefers.

i haven't tried spinich yet, but they do go crazy for peas. i was hoping, though, that they'd like some other veggies, too, because once I thaw and shell and chop up their peas for them, i've gone to a lot more work than just blanching a leaf of lettuce. it's not something i have time to do nearly as often.

well, i feel a little silly. my mom has fun feeding the fish, and she asked if she could feed them today, so I didn't look into their tank much until just now. the lettuce that had maybe two nibbles out of it last night at 11:30 when i went to bed is... gone! just the ribs left, not even the tiniest bit of leaf remaining. goldfish are a little like kids. they were happy enough to eat the lettuce, but it had to be their idea, not mine. :D

My fish just plain don't like lettuce, or spinach for that matter. Dunno if there's a lot you can do!

ditto to that! My fish don't want ANYTHING to do with lettuce whatsoever at all in any way and do sniff at spinach, but then turn up their noses and swim away. But, they LOVE the spinach when I steam it, whirl it up in a blender and gel food it. Just like kids, ya gotta trick 'em and hide it!

Edited by lynda441

I'm curious to try some lettuce with our little fellas ... erm, ladies. I wonder if Miki will be willing to part with some of here lettuce (she reaaally likes her lettuce :P ). Thanks for the tip Heidi ;) .

I'm curious to try some lettuce with our little fellas ... erm, ladies. I wonder if Miki will be willing to part with some of here lettuce (she reaaally likes her lettuce :P ). Thanks for the tip Heidi ;) .

:uwelcome

That has got to be the cheesiest emoto that we've got on this board. :P

I've read that freezing the lettuce leaves more nutrition than boiling, but that lettuce isn't highly nutritious to start with. The fiber sounds like a good idea in any case. I'll have to check out the spinach.

Spinach is JAM PACKED with nutrients, and is much better to eat than lettuce (for both goldies and humans. :P )

I don't think we've tried spinach (though I'm not completely sure), but given that Miki isn't a big fan, I doubt will have it in stock often.

Spinach is JAM PACKED with nutrients, and is much better to eat than lettuce (for both goldies and humans. :P )

I don't think we've tried spinach (though I'm not completely sure), but given that Miki isn't a big fan, I doubt will have it in stock often.

I don't mind spinich as long as it is smothered in cream and cheese :P

btw: I've tried lettuce (sla toch he?) and they are not that fond of it. Goldie: "If that is the only thing we will get this day than we'll eat it, unless we can find some algea :blink: . Not to often or we demolish the plants :feedme "

Edited by Quasi