Is Wen Growth Stressful For A Fish?

My black ranchu's wen and pom poms have been growing a lot lately -- almost from one day to the next you can see a difference. The past 2-3 days she has been acting like she is feeling a little off -- not participating as enthusiastically in mealtime (still eating), resting on the bottom at times, etc. I am wondering if lots of wen growth can be stressful to a fish? She has undergone preventative prazi treatment, as well as two weeks at 0.3% salt.

I wouldn't think it's stressful, but that's a very interesting question. I think it may be as stressful for a fish to experience a wen growth spurt as it is for say, human children to experience growth spurts. Growing can be stressful and tiring. I suspect fish might feel the same?

Kristen I am experiencing this with Jelly ...for a few days of just relaxing a lot more or not being his funny little self ..and his wen is growing fast and I mean real fast almost like a glass of milk with a straw and you blow into it lightly and the bubbles grow and grow .until they are hanging over the top of the glass ..sorry that is the only thing I can think of that reminds me of wen growth :rofl .but I see changes everyday and then it will stop for a while and start again I say by this time next year if not sooner his eyes will be covered :krazy:

When my old oranda Jerry grew his giant mutant wen (that's how I described it at least :P ) he actually bottom sat for a while. When his 'growth spurt' ended he was fine. I'm thinking it could be a combo of the growth using a lot of their energy and them figuring out how to swim with all that extra tissue on their heads.

When my old oranda Jerry grew his giant mutant wen (that's how I described it at least :P ) he actually bottom sat for a while. When his 'growth spurt' ended he was fine. I'm thinking it could be a combo of the growth using a lot of their energy and them figuring out how to swim with all that extra tissue on their heads.

If it's anything like moulting in birds, the bottom sitting might even be an adaptive behaviour: at times when you expend a lot of energy and/or are more vulnerable to predators (because of conspicuous colours or decreased mobility) it's safer hide and stay quiet. (note that most gf also 'bottom sit' for a moment when they think there's a predator nearby; I once approached the tank with a red shirt on, now I know it's best if I don't do that :P ).

I once approached the tank with a red shirt on, now I know it's best if I don't do that

Interesting....it's the dreaded Red Alainbird coming to eat some goldies!! :hide:

Nah, I just had lunch an hour ago :read

:rofl

I once approached the tank with a red shirt on, now I know it's best if I don't do that

Interesting....it's the dreaded Red Alainbird coming to eat some goldies!! :hide:

Gigi jumped out of the tank on that occasion (several moths ago). And a month before that Godzilla bumped heavely into the tankwall when she got afraid of 'dreaded Red Alainbird'. That was one of my first posts in the diagnosis and discussion room

Edited by Quasi

Gigi jumped out of the tank on that occasion (several moths ago). And a month before that Godzilla bumped heavely into the tankwall when she got afraid of 'dreaded Red Alainbird'. That was one of my first posts in the diagnosis and discussion room

:rofl

it is not stressful for the fish but a reflection of your good care. the only thing I would not treat with prazi or salt for wen growth, you do not want to build up a tolerance to that medication in case you really need it. Just feed him well, always monitor your water conditions, weekly water changes, and you will have a great fish with a beautiful wen

What also adds to the resting period is the added weight of the new wen - it takes some getting used to when the headgrowth gets heavier. Thats why so many big wenned fish sit a lot, especially if it starts growing towards the eyes, and the visual stimulation area gets smaller and smaller. :)

im sure u've all seen my red cap oranda Joe (or known as Ronald McDonald to some), he's got a huge wen but he's got no problem with it, he's the cutest happiest little fish u could imagine! lol

Edited by Shamu23

Tuck spends a good bit of time just hovering or even resting on the bottom now and then. His wen got pretty big and now covers his eyes so he doesn't see well,if at all. I'm careful not to over decorate his tank and give him lots of open space so he doesn't bump into things too much. He never acts any different that I've noticed during it's growth spurts.

Kathy