Ideas For A Goldfish Schedule...

Hi everyone,

I hope I'm not driving everyone crazy with my one million questions. I promise I will start posting on other people's posts once I feel like I have some knowledge under my belt. I'm trying to get on a weekly schedule with my fish as far as feeding and cleaning goes and I want to see if what I have been doing is good.

So far I start the morning with pre-soaked flakes (though I'm hoping to switch this to a homemade gel food soon). I leave the light on for 8 hours for my Amazon Sword Plant, but because my tank is small and gets hot quickly this time of year that is it for the light.

Then the second feeding at night is either brine shrimp or fruits and veggies.

I just read that Koko suggests feeding only once a day, so I'm wondering if I should change this.

Then on Saturdays I do peas and Sunday is fasting day and cleaning about fifty percent of the water and siphoning the gravel.

Any suggestions/improvements on this schedule?

Thanks!

Amy

Yup, once a day is plenty for goldfish. Then give the fruit or veggies as one of the day's food, like in the middle of the week. The fasting and peas are good, but you should probably switch them. Fasting, then peas. Sounds like you're doing pretty good otherwise. Just keep tabs on the water quality.

Oh, and like they say, there are no stupid questions. We love people who want to learn and we love helping! And, you may not yet be able to give educated advice to anyone who asks a question, but we're happy to have you chime in with just a wish for good luck and support!

Edited by lynda441

The results you are getting on your water tests should help you determine how often and how much to feed and how often and how much water to change. Each aquarium is different, so you need to judge what "works" in your particular system.

As a general rule, you should not let your nitrate level rise above 20 between water changes. If your nitrate level is getting higher than that it means 1) you need to change more water more often and/or 2) you need to feed less.

Like many goldfish keepers, I like to feed as much as I can get away with. I enjoy watching my fish eat and I enjoy seeing their bodies and wens grow. But I have found that I can't get away with weekly water changes if I feed more than once a day. Some weeks that's okay with me -- I enjoy aquarium maintenance and it is no big deal to have to change 50-75% of my water every three or four days. Those weeks I allow my fish the luxury of two heavier feedings per day. Other weeks I am busier or more tired or whatever, so I only feed once a day or only feed five times per week. Once you have kept goldfish for a while you will develop a feel for what schedule works for you and your system.

Homemade gel food is great, but I don't know if it can be considered a staple diet. I would recommend that you get a sinking pellet food to use as your staple diet, which you can then supplement every few days with gel food. Good brands of pellets that are commonly available at the big box stores include Hikari (note that the Lionhead formulation is the only one that sinks) and Omega One. Good (better) brands that generally require mail-order are ProGold, Dainichi, and New Life Spectrum.

Thanks! It is really hard t ingnore their little hungry faces, but I'm sure everyone has that problem. I will go to once a day feedings. Do you guys suggest a morning or night feeding? I've been so paranoid about cleaning out the good bacteria that I haven't really thought about changing that much water twice a week. I enjoy the cleaning duties, so it isn't a big deal to me to give them a heavier week and clean more. Maybe I should do a partial water change today to be safe.

Also, if I make the gel food with the flakes that I have can that be considered a staple food? Oh and fasting first then the peas...that makes sense.

Thanks again! I'm learning:)

When mine were younger I did do three small feedings a day. Now I do once a day. They still get the same amount but now they get it all at once instead of spread out.

Both have worked for me but after a while more then once a day got to be to much to remember. lol

Thanks! It is really hard t ingnore their little hungry faces, but I'm sure everyone has that problem. I will go to once a day feedings. Do you guys suggest a morning or night feeding? I've been so paranoid about cleaning out the good bacteria that I haven't really thought about changing that much water twice a week. I enjoy the cleaning duties, so it isn't a big deal to me to give them a heavier week and clean more. Maybe I should do a partial water change today to be safe.

Also, if I make the gel food with the flakes that I have can that be considered a staple food? Oh and fasting first then the peas...that makes sense.

Thanks again! I'm learning:)

My little monsters are trained to know that when the light goes on at 5:30 p.m., it's chow time. They have learned that and if I come up to or walk past the tank at any other time, they don't go crazy. But let that light come on, totally different story. My light is on a timer and it turns on shortly after I arrive home from work and the little buggers started identifying the door closing with food (because the tank is right next to the front door) and they were thinking they were going to get fed anytime I closed the door, which, of course, was a lot, so I had to start closing the door very softly until they started associating the light with food. Point of the story, if you get your fishies into a routine, they'll get used to the once a day feeding.

Making the gel food with flakes is a way to help use up your flakes, but I would suggest adding other things like brine shrimp, bloodworms, peas, squash, etc. That's the cool thing with gel food. It can be this mish mash of everything in your cupboard and fridge. Whatever you can think up, you can make.

Edited by lynda441

rather then flake food i would get them a good pellet sinking food such a hikari lionhead or any of those spectrum pellet foods. As far as feeding that depends on the age and size of the fish. Fry and very young fish up to one year in age should be given frequent very small feedings of a variety of food. Adults and larger fish can get by on a single feeding. I usually provide two small feedings using a variety of foods that you have mentioned. Just monitor your water quality.

The results you are getting on your water tests should help you determine how often and how much to feed and how often and how much water to change. Each aquarium is different, so you need to judge what "works" in your particular system.

As a general rule, you should not let your nitrate level rise above 20 between water changes. If your nitrate level is getting higher than that it means 1) you need to change more water more often and/or 2) you need to feed less.

Like many goldfish keepers, I like to feed as much as I can get away with. I enjoy watching my fish eat and I enjoy seeing their bodies and wens grow. But I have found that I can't get away with weekly water changes if I feed more than once a day. Some weeks that's okay with me -- I enjoy aquarium maintenance and it is no big deal to have to change 50-75% of my water every three or four days. Those weeks I allow my fish the luxury of two heavier feedings per day. Other weeks I am busier or more tired or whatever, so I only feed once a day or only feed five times per week. Once you have kept goldfish for a while you will develop a feel for what schedule works for you and your system.

Homemade gel food is great, but I don't know if it can be considered a staple diet. I would recommend that you get a sinking pellet food to use as your staple diet, which you can then supplement every few days with gel food. Good brands of pellets that are commonly available at the big box stores include Hikari (note that the Lionhead formulation is the only one that sinks) and Omega One. Good (better) brands that generally require mail-order are ProGold, Dainichi, and New Life Spectrum.

Wow! That is super helpful. I've already noticed that my Pearlscale has grown in just the week that I have had her. They do get very small feedings, so maybe two a day and more water cleanings are key. They scarf it up pretty much immediately. I think they are just little babes and still growing like crazy so they are hungry little guys.

One quick question (I asked this in another section, too but it might fit more here. I probably will start a new thread with this.) has anybody noticed their fish being more active than usual right after a partial water change? I panicked and did my fifty percent water change today (the last one was Sunday). It wasn't super dirty and the water temp. was a degree cooler, but not much pretty close. They seemed to be really active after I added the new water. They seemed to almost shimmy though not in place, kind of all over the tank with some body twists thrown in.

After a while I actaully fed them again thinking maybe it was the water change that they were just hungry. They ate and calmed down a lot after that. Did I do something wrong or were they just hungry or enjoying the clean water?

Thanks! It is really hard t ingnore their little hungry faces, but I'm sure everyone has that problem.

It's their default facial expression: "can I have some food now, I'm staaarving!" :P

We also do two feedings a day, with fasting and peas once every week, and fruit every two weeks. The litl'ones also have a round-the-clock algae buffet, so they usually get a little less (for their size) than the larger ones (which are located in a different tank, in case you were wondering ;) ).

Thanks! It is really hard t ingnore their little hungry faces, but I'm sure everyone has that problem.

It's their default facial expression: "can I have some food now, I'm staaarving!" :P

We also do two feedings a day, with fasting and peas once every week, and fruit every two weeks. The litl'ones also have a round-the-clock algae buffet, so they usually get a little less (for their size) than the larger ones (which are located in a different tank, in case you were wondering ;) ).

I noticed a typo: We do only one feeding a day now, but we used to do 2 feedings :)

Thanks. We are in a loft and pretty much have no light, so no algae at this point. But they do always seem to be starving. I just try to ignore them when I know they should be fine. Not always easy to do. They are close to our kitchen table and I swear they watch us eat!

While you're deciding on your feeding schedule & what you want to feed...I figured I'd throw out one more idea. I feed Mazuri Gel Food as the staple for my fish. (I toss in fruit or veggies.....usually whatever I am chopping up for us).

I really like the Mazuri. It is very good for the goldies. It is easy to store & to prepare!

A friend sent some to me quite awhile back & I tried it and was pleased. Then after I read up on it I decided to stick with it!

((They should PAY ME for the free advertising I do!!! LOL!!))

As far as that body-twisting, when you did the large water change, was the pH matched pretty well? Also, how do you get the water to the same temperature - leave it out overnight? I have been told here that it is best not to add warm water from the tap, which may have picked up minerals from the water heater. Just some thoughts.

The little ones really grow fast, don't they! :D

Oh. That's interesting. I didn't think warm water would be bad. About one quarter of the water was left out overnight, but the rest I did from the tap. I assume it is the same PH, but I don't have a testing kit. I'm off to get one, but since the water has all come from teh same source I would guess it is roughly the same.

I did another water change today, but a smaller amount (25%) and they seemed totally fine and more normal. So far so good.

I can't believe how fast they grow. I can see this tank size isn't going to last long:)

Guest Tankgirl

I feed twice a day, but smaller amounts. It doesn't really matter how often you feed them so long as you make sure they're eating it all and you don't overfeed them.

For cleaning, I have a pretty set schedule:

Saturday:

Take out all ornaments and put them in REALLY hot water,

Use algae magnet,

Wipe all the plants to clear them of gunk and/or algae and prune off dead or decaying leaves,

Siphon the gravel (except the gravel around the base of plants) until 40% water has been removed,

Clean the filter and rinse the pads (in removed tank water) and replace filter,

Fill a bucket with water and add water conditioner,

Scrub ornaments thoroughly,

Pour bucket of treated water into tank,

Fill and treat another bucket,

Rinse ornaments and check for cracks, chips or signs of anything strange,

Add bucket of treated water to tank,

Fill and treat another bucket,

Put ornaments back into tank,

Add bucket of treated water to tank,

Repeat with buckets until full.

Wednesday:

Wipe and prune plants,

Siphon gravel (apart from around plants) until 25% of water is removed,

Treat a bucket of water,

Use algae magnet,

Add water,

Repeat with buckets until full.

Sorted. =]

I don't feed them on Saturdays and feed them peas on Sundays.

They've got a menu which mostly has different types of shop bought pellets and flakes and has regular fruit, veg and daphnia/brine shrimp etc.

Wow! Thanks for the information. So you suggest removing all of my plastic plants (not my real ones of course) and soaking them at least once a week? I mostly move them and siphon around them, but soaking them makes sense.