Ca Fires

koko

• Admin

I hope that everyone here that lives in CA is doing okay, I know that I'm very worried due to the fact that a fire was started in my town two nights ago. Its about 5-10 miles from my home. My power was shut off yesterday due to smoke in the lines. I could see the red flames from the porch but today its just smoky here.

I just want to say to be careful guys if you live anywhere near wild fires, stay safe :D I know there's fires all over the USA :(

http://www.keyt.com/news/local/22836584.html

http://www.independent.com/news/2008/jul/0...orning-outlook/

Koko I didn't realize it was that close! How scary. It seems like it's the same old thing here every summer and it's so scary! The Valley air here has been choked with heavy brown smoke for a couple weeks. Thankfully we finally have a nice breeze blowing today to clear it out. It's really bad for people like me with asthma, just makes it that much harder to breathe.

Anyway stay safe Koko and let me know if you need anything, extra tanks or a fishsitter or anything. :)

I have a friend in Scotts Valley in the Santa Cruz mountains. Single woman, struggled and saved, while studying for marine biology, and finally bought her first house there 7 years ago. I've lost touch with her and I've seen the reports. Some of the fires are almost literally exactly where she lives and I worry about her. I pray she is okay. And even if she is.... her house... her dream house. If she loses that, that will break her heart. And it was, sorry, IS such a cool house. Tucked into a hillside, surrounded by trees all around. At the end of a very long winding road up the side of the hill. Beautiful and lovely when all is well, but a perfect scenario for a fire disaster.

Darn, those fires are back - and yet so close to you again, Koko! Sounds like its even closer than the last time around. Was that fire started on purpose as backfire, or by lightning/accident?

Jen, thats just what you need in your valley - if it isn't polution and smog, it is smoke from fire. There doesn't a day go buy where you actually breathe fresh air, is it? :rolleyes:

• Admin

Well I made it through another night. Power keeps going on and off so far 54 hundred acres have burned. Evacuations have been started about 5 miles away from me and the sundowners are going nuts 40 miles per hour in the mountains. :(

Well I made it through another night. Power keeps going on and off so far 54 hundred acres have burned. Evacuations have been started about 5 miles away from me and the sundowners are going nuts 40 miles per hour in the mountains. :(

oh koko....this must be terrifying ..it sounds very surreal and eery ..I hope you will be okay and if you need to get out you have plans inplace for evacuation :(

If you don't mind my asking, Koko, where are you located? Just city/area, not your exact address! lol! Just trying to get an idea of where you're at....

• Admin

Im in Goleta, if you look on a map Im in the Ellwood area between 101 and the beach. Its scary cause this area hasnt burnt in 50 years so there is alot of brush up there :(

Got some stuff packet but I just dont want to leave my goldfish, I cried last night cause I thought i would have to leave them :(

http://www.independent.com/news/2008/jul/0...ire-map-online/

• Admin

Unfortunately no, :cry I just need to pray that it doesnt go over the freeway. Right now I keep there lid closed cause of all the ash, when the power goes out I open one side so they get some air and unplug the filter system so it wont spike.

They think it was caused by gun fire or a camp ground....they just dont know :(

Koko I PMed you. I just moved about 45 mins closer to you. Give me a call if you need me to fish sit. I've got a bunch of empty tanks and would be glad to take care of them. I know how important they are! :):heart

• Admin
Koko I PMed you. I just moved about 45 mins closer to you. Give me a call if you need me to fish sit. I've got a bunch of empty tanks and would be glad to take care of them. I know how important they are! :):heart

Thank you hun, so far its staying up in the mountains.....I will, thank you :hug

I saw the fires on the news this morning, and it is just so terrifying. I'll say a prayer for your safety, your family's and your fish. Hopefully it will stay in the mountains, Koko.

Oh man. Koko I know what you are going through, been there/done that. Take care. I sent a prayer up for you all. If you have to go outside, please wear a mask or something over your nose and mouth. If you can wet the cloth so much better. BE CAREFUL.

Im in Goleta, if you look on a map Im in the Ellwood area between 101 and the beach. Its scary cause this area hasnt burnt in 50 years so there is alot of brush up there :(

Got some stuff packet but I just dont want to leave my goldfish, I cried last night cause I thought i would have to leave them :(

http://www.independent.com/news/2008/jul/0...ire-map-online/

Somehow I knew, had a feeling that's where you're at... wow! I've always pondered that in my brain... what would I do if something happened that I had to leave my pets... I know for a fact that if it came to a dog or cat, I would evacuate, but not to any place that wouldn't accept them... I don't care.... fishies, if I had a choice/opportunity, I would want to take them too... of course, I only have three right now... fairly easy to deal with... anyway, my heart goes out to you.. I pray it is controlled soon....