My New Fish

I've been holding off on buying any new fish until my lfs started getting lionheads again, but yesterday on my routine shipment day visit I peeked in at the orandas and there were some really cute ones. There was this one white one that kept coming over to see me everytime I walked past and even though the current was pretty strong for such a little guy he'd fight it just to get to the glass and wiggle at me. After about 10 minutes of internal debate I finally decided to get him and when I came back to the tank with the salesperson and pointed to the one that I wanted he came zooming right up to my finger so I knew I made the right decision. This little guy definitely picked me! At the store it didn't really occur to me how tiny he was because he was the same size as all the other little guys in the tank, but when I looked at him in his bag and my goldies in the tank that he would eventually go into I realized that he's going to have to do some growing in his quarantine tank before he can go into the big tank. As he is now, I think Fatfish could accidentally swallow him whole :rofl I even have to break his pro gold up so that it fits in his mouth :rolleyes:

So without further adieu here are some pictures!

newwhite1.jpg

newwhite2.jpg

newwhite3.jpg

and here's a quick shot of Chubber being excited because somebody looked at her(it doesn't take much to get her riled up)

superchubber.jpg

Lovely contrast between the black and the white :painting: not to mention the size :D

He is a cutie and very beautiful :wub:

Edited by Quasi

Aww, what a cutie! I love that nacreous operculum he's got on the right side. Let's hope the Fairy of Lemonheads blesses you with a big ol' yellow wen!

That's what I was going to say! This has the makings of a lovely lemonhead! Which, if I saw one in a store around here, you'd have to pick me up off the floor after fainting I'd be so excited!

nacreous operculum

:hmm As I run off to Google nacreous operculum. :gcar:

Now for those of use who are verbally challenged:

Operculum - the plate that covers the gills

Narceous - means resembling nacre (mother of pearl) or Exhibiting lustrous/rainbow like colors.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nacreous

lol I googled it too :) Thanks for all of the nice comments. I'd love if he turned out to be a lemonhead or if he just had a white wen. With my luck he'll probably turn orange though(not that there's anything wrong with that I was just trying to diversify my colors and I already have and orange and white oranda - don't want anyone thinking I'm an orangist). I really just hope that he's healthy and will grow up big and strong.

Edited by Imber

nacreous operculum

:hmm As I run off to Google nacreous operculum. :gcar:

:teehee You know you're into fish too long when...

You use technical anatomy terms and really big words to describe how much you like a fish!

"Pearly gill cover"! :rofl

lol I googled it too :) Thanks for all of the nice comments. I'd love if he turned out to be a lemonhead or if he just had a white wen. With my luck he'll probably turn orange though(not that there's anything wrong with that I was just trying to diversify my colors and I already have and orange and white oranda - don't want anyone thinking I'm an orangist).

It's ok to be an orangist. I am a lemonist-- or, rather, a devotee of the Fairy of Lemonheads. The trick to keep white fish from turning orange (if, of course, the fish really wants to BE a lemonhead-- there's nothing doing about a fish that WANTS to be orange) is to not feed a red-enhancing food. Case in point: Kristen (Acupunk) has a lemonhead named Betsy that began to turn orange only after introducing a red-enhancing food to make her other fish redder.

I really just hope that he's healthy and will grow up big and strong.

A lovely wish indeed! Seconded!

Edited by thoughtsofjoy