Mouth Rot

i'm still new to fishkeeping so i'm just trying to brush up on signs and symptoms of different diseases. i'm just starting to dig in to mouth rot. how can you tell if its the beginnings of mouthrot or not? is it a growth and swelling of the mouth or a blood streak in the mouth or something different? are there any other symptoms that pre-empt mouth rot that we all should be watching for? is mouth rot a fungus or a bacterial infection? is there a medication to keep on hand to treat mouth rot if its suspected? also, can mouth rot just occur if they've somehow damaged their mouth (like scratched it on a plant or something)? any information would be helpful. also if ive just skipped over the post that already gives all this info, just give me the link? thank you!! :)

I'm soooooo angry I had a big long answere and it disapeard!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I can't spell! ! :wall:madrant:tantrum ...mouthrot is bacterial .it can start as a red pimple ,scrape or cut and it can turn into a nasty nasty mess that will leave your fish deformed..I'm not sure if it is a gram negitive or positive bacteria..so I'm not going to suggest any meds as most only treat one or the other whaT I can tell you is that the best thing to do is preventitive measures like putting a new fish in Q for 4-6 weeks with prazi and salt flukes among other parasites can hinder a fish's immunity leaving him wide open ffor all sorts of disease ,do not keep hallow ornaments(they are trouble)..vac your gravel very good leave no stone unturned ,filters not only do they hold the most valuble bacteria ,they can harbour the nastiest of the nasties ..you need to do weekly swishing and squishing of filterpads and getting all that sludge out(in tank water of course)..and waterchange and watertesting not overfeeding., not overstocking and feeding your fish lots of vitamin C .. this should put you well on your way of avoidance ..but as we know that is not always the case ..so keep your fish as healthy as possible build their immunity well for times of illness and with your hard work your fish should overcome a small scrape or an illness in no time :) ..

Edited by hi-d

Mouth rot, as Hi-d says, is a bacterial infection caused by the Columnaris bacteria, of which there are about 5 different strains. Mouth rot, itself, is characterized by white or fluffy strands blowing from the mouth, red eroded edges and ultimately mouth tissue falling away. This said, columnaris infection can become visible in a variety of different ways depending upon whether the pathogen is working externally or internally. Good tank maintenance, even temperature and quarantining of new fish is the best way to reduce risk of this disease.

Potassium Permanganate is the easiest, most effective treatment to use, should a fish fall prey to this infection; quite a few companies now make a PP solution which is easy to calculate and dose.

PP is always a good thing to have on hand, as it has many uses.

Here is a link to a piece written by Ranchugirl with instructions on how to make up a solution and also which dose is required depending on what you need it for

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=62554

Caution must be taken with regards to accuracy in dosage - PP is a wonderful thing to use in certain circumstances, but as a highly powerful oxidizer it can kill your fish if you are careless with amounts.

Also, be sure to have gloves and aprons to hand as this stuff stains very badly!!