My Green Algae

Guest goldfishnut

Guest goldfishnut

My tank is also next to my dinning room window just to the right of it, and the right wall of the tank is coated with green algae, it didn't even start brown it went straight to green. so it stands to reason that correct placement of a tank plays a big part in healthy algae growth and where the algae grows in the tank. And thank you

everyone because I too had questions about algae but all of you answered them for me.

And koko if you happen to read this, I love this site, I have learned so much and my fishies are benefiting because of it. Thank you!

Edited by goldfishnut

You're welcome. Sounds like you wanted the algae to grow. It's nice to find someone who understands that it's not this evil thing that so many people tend to think it is.

I want green algae to grow in my tank! Right now I am struggling with brown. My tank is located near a window and has a lot of light -- the fluorescent light that came with the tank and an additional two-bulb T-5 fixture (one daylight and one actinic bulb). How do I get green algae to start growing?

Guest Isilme

I know green algae are good for a lot of reasons, but I just don't like the sight of them on the tank walls or gravel. In my tropical aquarium I have these bearded algae (I think they are red), and I leave them, because they grow on the ornaments and I think it looks nice.

Controlled green algae growth on ornaments in my gf tank would be nice, but does anybody know how I can induce this controlled algae growth?

You're welcome. Sounds like you wanted the algae to grow. It's nice to find someone who understands that it's not this evil thing that so many people tend to think it is.

Our Benja and Junior love their algae :D , so why shouldn't we? ^_^

Glad you found the answers you were looking for, goldfishnut :)

Controlled green algae growth on ornaments in my gf tank would be nice, but does anybody know how I can induce this controlled algae growth?

Do you mean green- dense water? GW? That really seems to grow best and fastest with sunlight. Outdoors or by a window.

I had a strong love affair with our green water until 2 weeks ago when a heat wave (when we were all absent) caused an algae crash leading to pH crash and the 3 fish died before we were able to do anything. Not wanting to alarm but green water despite its trillion advantages does need triple oxygen in the heat and needs close monitoring.

Guest Isilme

Thanks for the answer. Despite the fact that green water is indeed better for fish (sometimes!) etc. as you pointed out, I didn't mean that.

I mean, is it possible to grow algae on on ornaments (like a patch of grass) in a controlled way, so your glass and gravel isn't covered with it? I know you can vacuum and clean the glass, but are there any other solutions?

Edited by Isilme

I thought that some people grow green algae on e.g. an ornament and then transfer it with the algea into the tank, so the fish can nible on it. But quite often the green algae will then colonise the new tank.

I've read this on Koko's when I just joined so I do not remember the details :unsure:

Someone told me that if you use algae tablets for feeding, you have to be "careful" that it does not cause algae in your tank. But since I let algae grow at the back of the tank anyway, I didn't think this was a bad thing. I don't know if it's true - I had algae before I started using algae tablets. But if you really have a great environment for algae, and only brown grows, I wonder if it would be worth trying an algae tablet to see if something green will grow. Again, I don't know myself, just passing along second-hand information.