Kids Pool

Guest Tyrese

I would absolutely not ever put a goldfish in there. I don't mean to be harsh-- but it is a completely unsuitable environment.

The problems are:

a) it is deflatable-- what if it were to be punctured suddenly while you were not at home?

b) the plastic it is made from could contain contaminants

c) it is FAR too shallow-- the fish will be WAY too hot and have absolutely no protection from predators

d) it would be difficult to attach a filter to the sides-- HOBs would be completely out of the question

If you're looking to install a temporary pool, look to a stock tank instead.

Guest Tyrese

Yea thats what I was thinking about because I plan on getting a medium sized- approx 500G+ stock tank to raise a couple of my fish indoors in the garage. Person told me it was only 6x3FT so I decided against it.

What is your garage commonly used for? I would strictly recommend against keeping fish in a garage because of all the possible contaminants: motor oil, debris from metal or wood, chemical fumes, etc. unless there are no vehicles or tools/workstations.

The stock tanks do work really well. Even if you can't get the huge ones, you can go with the 100 gallon, and they don't take up too much space. I'd recommend a covered patio or something other than a garage, like Joy mentioned. You'd have much better ventilation that way.

I've never seen one either. :P They're called stock tanks (I think; feel free to correct me on this) because they are commonly used for livestock, for water troughs. You can find them at granges and agri supply stores, usually.

Sorry!! I live in the agricultural capital of the world--I guess I assume everyone has these tanks at their local hardware store. If you have any sort of farm supply or livestock supply store, they can usually get these. They typically cost about a dollar per gallon. My 40 gallon (which I foudn at a locally owned hardware store) cost about $40. The 100 and 150 gallons are a great size and well worth the money. I plan to get a couple later on to use as large outdoor ponds. I like that the large tanks also have a drain plug at the bottom which makes water changes simple!

temporary ponds can also be done with the kiddy pop up pools. They are not deep and the fish need protection from the weather on both ends of the spectrum.

Also the Intex Frame Set or quick set pools can also be used. I prefer the frameset as they have a frame rather than an inflatible ring at the top such as the quick set has. IF I were to use a quick set I'd watch it like a hawk and have heard of those that instead of inflating them put the long foam swimmy things in the ring (yes cut to put in) and I've heard of those that put the expanding great foam in the ring.

These can make great temporary set ups while a pond is being built, or re-built. I know of some that use them for quarantine or hospital tanks and always have one set up in their garage or back yard if weather is mild.

Filtration can be purchased or DIY. Lots of info on the web on building large filters big enough to filters 1000+ gallons of water.