That Farmer Burning Down His Field!

Ranchugirl

So, I am sitting in my office this afternoon when the A/C turns on, and a nasty smell of smoke creeps throughout the house. That wonders me, of course, so I get up to investigate. I looked out the window towards the backyard (and we are surrounded by a field), and all I see is this huge wall of fire on the edge of the field!

Of course, I am running back there to see what is going on, fully prepared to grab my animals in case that fire spreads. The farmer that owns the field decided to burn his field down. A tractor drives back and forth in between the field and our house, apparently to see that the fire doesn't spread. It was a rather windy day, so this is quite a stupid thing to do. Considering that the wind blew the smoke towards our house! It was very hard to breathe for a while, and I fetched my tortoises and brought them inside, so they aren't exposed to that smoke anymore. I was pretty mad and called the sheriff's department, and they told me that the probably just burn their field down, which seems common practice. Nice and cute and all, but a little warning would have been nice. Plus it better not being done on a day where there is wind blowing towards the house. There aren't more than 40 ft between the house and the edge of the field, and right on the edge, maybe 10 ft in, are the koi ponds, a shed and a car port. All things that are made out of wood (at least partially), and can catch fire easily.

It sure scared the heck out of me! A little knock on the door would have been all that farmer could have done, and I wouldn't run like a freaky person to see if I have to evacuate my house! :madrant:blowup:

Not saying that I want to live next to someone who's burning their fields, but it would be nice to be able to live in an area where that's even allowed. Lord, you can't even burn a piece of paper out in public in LA without the police swarming down on you! lol!

My dad does that all the time too, once he did it on a windy day and the fire kinda got out of control but he hasnt burned anything in awhile except ditches which is actually supposed to be illegal now. I hate it when he does it though cuz i think of all the little bugs that have to die :(

Wow that would have been so scary! We used to do our own fires because we had a lot of cardboard and rubbish that would cost money to take to the tip, but it was always fairly small and under control. I couldn't imagine walking outside my back door and finding a wall of fire nextdoor! Unless I lived in Bundy :P

Jeez Andrea, they could think about that wind. What a badly chosen day- a windy one. And they should have informed people nearby yes. Thats not only a fire hazard but downright dangerous for people with asthma and of course animals that are tied up near the field and can't run from the smoke. Doesn't this happen every year or are they new farmers ?

I hate it when he does it though cuz i think of all the little bugs that have to die :(

That's sweet Shamu. I dont mind any mosquitos or leeches getting wiped out but I know what you mean about all the other little critters :(

I thought the fire dept. had to be present when people burn a field. When My mom burned our yard to get rid of the weeds, there was a firetruck right there. Don't they at least have to have a permit? They were starting a brush fire!!

And....A knock on the door to let you know is only common courtesy! I would have been p.o.'d!!!! :madrant

I would flip out, too!! Especially on a windy day.

Like Lynda mentioned, in CA you can't burn ANYTHING. They no longer build homes with fireplaces since you can't use them anyway. The pollution here in the Valley is so bad that no one even realizes there are mountains so close by, since you can't ever see them. I used to live just a few miles from the foothills to the Sierra Nevada range (mountains that reach about 8,000 ft) and you can't see them till you're right up on them. :(

A farmer that is doing "agriculture" is pretty much given a free hand to just about anything he wants to. Agricultiure is a magical term that makes avery rule in the book become non-applicable, practically.

We were burning old downed wood that we cleaned up last summer. I would not burn until we got a working well and a pump that would allow me to draw water from the well. Then I stayed by the fire until it was done and OUT.

Soooo many stopped by to laugh at the "city folk". They burn anything, anytime. They are laughing at us for we have dug 4972498572894572975 old tires from the ravines and are having a great deal of difficulty getting rid of them. You have to pay $4 a tire IF you can find a place that will take them. The farmers say "Just BURN them!". They think we are fools not to. They set a pile of tires to burn and just let them smolder and smoke for weeks as they slowly burn away. I ask if they are not worried about the fires getting away from control and the answer is usually "Naw... there is a field between the fire and my place".

:yikes :

Fire deserves respect. I think that many people have gotten just so lazy about fire and it's uses that they forget just how fast and how devastating a fire can be! Our do-do neighbors where we have our house build up a monster brush pile every year with branches and downed trees. (We chip - and use the mulch). Their pile is presently about 50 feet across and well over 20 feet high. Nearly every year they will light it off and walk away to let it burn. We are sitting in a forest - and the sparks blow over out house. I call 911 and the fire department comes out and puts it out ina spray of water making mud and tones of smoke. The neighbors have to pay $500. fine for burning, the piles is not burned and it sits, partially burned for the next year as they pile more one it. Before long, they light it off again. I expect we have done this same song and dance about 12 times already - and will do it many more times. They just do not seem to get it.

Nice neighbors you got there, Daryl. Isn't it charming how the lack of concern for others is spreading like fire? I would never get the idea of burning tire - that is a huge health hazard, not to mention that tires aren't meant to burn and it polutes the environment.

The sheriffs department told me that they are supposed to have a firetruck out there when burning, and if I wanted to, I could call one. I didn't, since the fire was halfway gone by then. But I felt sorry for my neighbor - the poor girl is surrounded on 3 sides by that field, and I am sure she would have been scared if she would have been home. Her poor dog was in the backyard however, and all her cats outside, and the dog is tied onto a dog run. Nowhere for him to hide except his dog house, and that is made of wood. DUH!

Today they prepared the field to have cotton planted on it again like every year. They are a bit late this year, and last year they only had cotton, not the other stuff. What is that - wheat? Looked like it.