Sign in to follow this  
amynmitchell

What Is Safe?

We are vegans and always have lots of fruit and veggies around. We have a small pearlscale and Rynkin (I can never spell that right). They are about an inch and a half. I am new to goldfish, so I've been feeding them goldfish flakes in the morning and at night they usually get a small veg/fruit treat (so far, orange slice, cucumber, spinach, peas). I only feed an amount at each feeding equilivant to their eye size. Is this too much fruit and veggies for them? Is there anything I should avoid?

Thanks!

You can never feed your fish too much fruits and veggies!! However, you do want to make sure that they are getting enough protein. I suggest you look for a high-protein pellet food, such as ProGold, Omega One, New Life Spectrum, or Hikari Gold, to feed along with a fruit/veggie diet. I'm no fan of flake food-- they seem to cause more problems than they're worth, especially with deep-bodied fish. You can even make gel food if you want more of an all-in-one food to feed.

Why don't you take a browse around the Goldfish Food forum and see what other people have fed? Or browse gel food recipes? It should give you some good ideas.

As for what to avoid, anything that is not a fresh fruit or vegetable or specially formulated for fish is something to avoid. For example, stay away from feeding bread, unless you are using it as a way to feed your fish the immune-boosting garlic juice.

Thanks! I will keep the fruits and veggies going. I added brine shrimp to the mix tonight and they went crazy for it. I wanted to try bloodworms, but was afraid I'd get too grossed out. I will try that later on though. I can't afford to toss the flakes (I wish I had read up on them beforehand) but I'm going to start soaking them for safey and will make sure to get pellets on the next round. I always have lots of avocado on hand and thought that might make a nice treat once in a while, too.

Mix the flakes up in some gel food with some other good stuff. That way, you get a good food and you can use your flakes too.

I can't afford to toss the flakes (I wish I had read up on them beforehand) but I'm going to start soaking them for safey and will make sure to get pellets on the next round.

Not using flakes is just my personal choice. :) There are ways around their issues-- presoaking is one, and like Lynda said, you can always mix them into a gel food.

I'm thinking about mixing up my own batch of gel food. So I like the idea of adding the flakes to that so as not to waste them. This is the first morning I tried to presoak my flakes. It didn't go so well...the big spoon I was using first dumped the water and the flakes all over my dog's bed. Then when I tried again the spoon actually fell into the tank. On the plus side the flakes went down the water with it instead of on the surface. Of course, I had to try to get the spoon out before they tried to eat that, too...the little pigs.

I use a little medicine cup to soak their food, like the ones that come on the top of Nyquil bottles. It works well, I just scoop a little bit of tank water and drop the food in it for a few minutes. I don't use freeze-dried bloodworms, as I've heard some bad things about them on here with bacteria and parasites. I do feed them freeze-dried brine shrimp though and they go kookoo over it. Of course they go kookoo over any food they get, lol!

I'm thinking about mixing up my own batch of gel food. So I like the idea of adding the flakes to that so as not to waste them. This is the first morning I tried to presoak my flakes. It didn't go so well...the big spoon I was using first dumped the water and the flakes all over my dog's bed. Then when I tried again the spoon actually fell into the tank. On the plus side the flakes went down the water with it instead of on the surface. Of course, I had to try to get the spoon out before they tried to eat that, too...the little pigs.

lol! :rofl3 klutz! jk! Well, flakes soak up pretty quickly. I just get a pinch of dry stuff from the can in my fingers in such a way that some of it sticks out on the sides and hold my fingers under the water. It's soaked in just a few seconds so by the time I let go, it sinks. And if there are any flakes that float to the top, I just give 'em a tap and they'll sink. I watch over the tank for a little bit to make sure the flakes all sink. My goldies like the flakes. I think they do because they're light and float around in the current so they can have themselves a little hunt and chase fest. Then they can graze later on whatever is left falls to the bottom.

For presoaking my foods, I use an animal dish-- one of those ubiquitous ceramic ones you'll find at most LPS. It belonged to my gerbils once upon a time.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I really like it because it's dishwasher and microwave safe.

Edited by thoughtsofjoy

Okay, I am a klutz. Last night I was rocking in my rocking chair and somehow I flipped it over, putting both me and my little Maltese on the floor. My husband thought I broke something, but I didn't (well, not unless you count the chair). I like the medicine cup idea...much smarter than my spoon that I can't control. I'm going to go see if I have one now.

I should probably start a new topic with this and I might do that too, but has anyone else noticed their fish being much more active after a water change? They went a little crazy today after my fifty percent water change. I couldn't tell if they were just hungry because I was trying to switch them to a once a day fed or if I did something wrong. They did seem to shimmy a bit which worried me, but it was more of an active shimmying all over the tank. Any ideas or am I jsut paranoid?

For presoaking my foods, I use an animal dish-- one of those ubiquitous ceramic ones you'll find at most LPS. It belonged to my gerbils once upon a time.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I really like it because it's dishwasher and microwave safe.

We have a little coffe cup (in shape not in purpose) for presoaking the food. It has it's own spot in the 'gf cupboard' :rolleyes:

The shimmying after a water change is normally due to the new water being at a different temperature.

Try to match the temp and PH when making changes.

Thanks for the help. If I use the same source, shouldn't the PH be the same?

If you have something in the tank that could change the pH one way or another, then it would be different from the original source water. It is my understanding that driftwood, or a plant with a brown/decaying leaf or stem could make it go down. Crushed coral would make it go up. Algae photosynthesis would bring it up during the day, and down at night. I'm sure there are a lot of things that make it go up and down, and somebody more knowledgeable than me could write a book. In any case, it's always a good idea to check. I've seen my fish get a bit frantic when I found the pH was down, and when I put in the buffer (I use Buff-It-Up,) they got calmer very soon thereafter.

Oh. I'm learning so much! I didn't even know that there was something that could change the PH. I know when I had my saltwater tank I was really new and my first batch of fish ending up bearing the brunt of my learning. I want these guys to live to be old fat goldfish and not suffer for my learning curve. Thankfully, they already seem heartier than saltwater fish.

My friend had the Pearlscael in a really hot tank with tropicals and never changed the water. I can't believe she came through that okay.

On the flakes..take a pinch between your fingers and dip into the tank water. Rub fingers together to get release the food. Should put most if not all of it in sinking mode.

Try a bit of watermelon ..my koi go bonkers for that