Fluval 404

I don't have experience with the 404 but I have 2 405s and a 205. The 404s are almost the same, they made some minor changes. I believe it was with the priming feature. Wonderful filters, room for tons of media. Still kind of a pain to prime. I just fill mine with water first, makes it a ton easier. Very quiet filters, I don't hear any of them running and they are right behind my computer chair. I paid $99 for my 405s on ebay.

Eek! Well, let the buyer beware! Kudos for doing your research first!

(Honestly, I typed "fish" instead of "first"...)

LOL That shows a nice healthy obsession. I got so caught up in the gph/omg a fluval for $85 free shipping, that it was very hard to not buy. Patience, I'm told, is a virtue.

Well, to bad you all have made the decision. I have had a 404 for... ohh.... 8 or 9 years now? its on my red ear slider tank, with 1 large turle and i LOVE IT!! Its awsome, I dont have a problem priming it (it just takes practice) and well,... i only have to clean it about 1X every 2 months, its is THAT NICE. and yes, my tank is balanced, even with a turtle. (it is a 200 gallon tank with 100 gallons in it though)

Im saving up for one for my 40 and the goldies.