How To Recognise Pop-eye

Quasi

I've read that pop-eye is often the first sign off dropsy. I've just realised that I have no idea on how to recognise pop-eye. :unsure: I've read somewhere that you see a white ring around the eye, but what exactly is meant by this? A white ring round the pupil, round the iris or one round the base off the eye?

Edited by Quasi

I think it would be a good idea to have pictures of what popeye looks like in its various stages in a pinned thread... perhaps dropsy as well, from scales not flush to scales pineconing.

I have some pineconing pics I could contribute.

I think it would be a good idea to have pictures of what popeye looks like in its various stages in a pinned thread... perhaps dropsy as well, from scales not flush to scales pineconing.

I have some pineconing pics I could contribute.

That is a really good and fantastic idea :exactly

I agree this is a good idea. Ever since I started reading about dropsy and pineconing I am over paranoid and sit there staring at the fishes scales and eyes. The other day when I put my fish in a bucket while doing a 100% water change I was inspecting my fish from the top and everything. I'm just so scared of something happening now. There are a lot of great pictures (well not great because it means the fish was sick but accurate) I've seen on this site but it would be nice to have them all in one place.

I think popeye is a really hard thing to diagnose because all fish have different eyes - especially when dealing with goldfish since there are so many mixtures of the breeds. The best way that I've found to diagnose popeye is to keep pictures of my fish's face for comparison down the line. This isn't a very good option for people that don't have digital cameras though. My Fatfish looks like she always has popeye but I think it's just because her eyes grew out to compensate for cheek wen and then her cheek wen didn't grow. This is what she looks like all the time: