Sign in to follow this  
Chrissy_Bee

"crazy" Idea

So as you may know, I recently set up a 50 gallon tank only to realize that my moore is too agressive for me to buy any new fish......I have accepted this, no more goldies for now :P

Last night I was staring at the tank (the way I typically spend my time when not on koko's, hehehe) and had an idea, but I really don't know if it's worth even thinking about. There's a divider in the tank because my goldie Elaine can't swim well and gets picked on by the other fish. She now has about 30% of the tank to herself. What if I put a betta in there with her??? There's no way she'd be able to bother it, she's just not that mobile. There's a nice big plant in there and the temperature is right. My only worry is that I have an airstone and rather large filter running in there....probably too much current for a betta.

The only reason I'm even considering this is that I left my betta with my sister when I moved (she was really attached) and I'm dying to get a real nice crowntail. Also, this would add something else to my nice big tank.

Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards "don't even think about doing it" but I'm not convinced yet.

Not a good idea. Betta's like the water temp at around 78 to 82. To warm for the goldfish and like you said to much current.

I tried that several years ago, only to have my goldies at the time try to eat the betta.

Have you thought about a small rubbernose or bristlenose pleco? I would be worried there, too, because Elaine is such a poor swimmer and plecos have such a bad rap.

There's always the possibility of looking for a small, docile little celestial?

Have you thought about a small rubbernose or bristlenose pleco? I would be worried there, too, because Elaine is such a poor swimmer and plecos have such a bad rap.

There's always the possibility of looking for a small, docile little celestial?

I would definitely steer clear of a pleco with an immobile fish in there. I had to move my bristlenose Buzz into his own tank because my goldfish kept turning up in the morning with minor fin and scale injuries. Since he is out of the tank, no more injuries... Elaine would be a sitting duck for even the most non-aggressive pleco.

Elaine would be a sitting duck for even the most non-aggressive pleco.

For sure! That's why Elaine is alone now, she's been picked at by other goldies (so I can just imagine what a pleco would do!).

I like the suggestion of a celestial or bubble eye, to be honest I'd never considered keeping one before. I'm getting to know the owner of a really good lfs and I think he'd even let me 'try' a fish out to see if it bothers her, and return it if things don't work out.

For your adorable Elaine's sake, don't put a betta with her. As much as goldfish can make short work out of a betta by ripping it's long flowy fins, the opposite can happen just as well, since bettas are really aggressive.

For your adorable Elaine's sake, don't put a betta with her. As much as goldfish can make short work out of a betta by ripping it's long flowy fins, the opposite can happen just as well, since bettas are really aggressive.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. I've seen them do it to guppies, but with Elaine pretty much being a lump :P , I wasn't sure.

Well....that's settled....no betta!

Now........how to manage more goldies :rolleyes:

Chrissy I think you would enjoy a celestial :heart ...I would still watch they are Fish and still have the ability to nip fins .I think it is a good idea to make sure you can take the fish back if problems arise :)

when i had a betta with my goldfish, the betta kept attacking the goldfish and eating chunks of their tails

crowntails bettas can be especially aggressive. If you want something tropical I would go with white cloud moutain fish. There is a long fin variety that is really cool. They are from china like our goldfish and seem to thrive at lower tempertures. High 60's and low 70's like our goldfish like. They are also very non aggressive