So Horrible

OldHag

My son discovered yesterday that his shubunkin Minibus had something strange around her mouth.

So I took her up, took pics and asked my "private" fishdoctor at my LFS. He suggested mouth fungus, and ordered Dessamor.

I have medicated her tank now, and hope for the best.

Pics here, if anyone else has suggestions.

Looks horrible...

Picture008.jpg

In medicated water...

Picture010-1.jpg

:(

Thanks, yes I am not sure if it is fungus or mouth rot...

I hope Imo or someone can look at this pic tomorrow...

Oh dear Anette - that looks like columnaris, also called mouth fungus. Trouble is it's a bacterium NOT a fungus and I think Dessamor is a fungal treament.

Can you take a look on the box and see if there are ingredients listed?

I think you are in a similar situation to me, in that we cannot get antibiotics over here? Potassium Permanganate could be the best option but let's see what the packet says as far as ingredients are concerned.

Oh dear Anette - that looks like columnaris, also called mouth fungus. Trouble is it's a bacterium NOT a fungus and I think Dessamor is a fungal treament.

Can you take a look on the box and see if there are ingredients listed?

I think you are in a similar situation to me, in that we cannot get antibiotics over here? Potassium Permanganate could be the best option but let's see what the packet says as far as ingredients are concerned.

Ok, the packet says:

For fungal infections and other bacterial infections...

Ingredients:

copper sulfate

ethacridine lactate

tetramethyl-thonine chloride

acriflavine chloride

Joy, I would be so greatful if someone could send me antibiotics, of course, but I don't know how to pay for it.

This fish is so important...

This is so horrible...

Oh no not Minibus :(

Pixie is right dessamor is typically sold for saprolegnia, slime coat fungus. The trouble with the word fungus is the real meaning is the hypha spores that attach to weakened slime coat but it gets passed around as a general term for all kinds of cottony or fungussy looking growths. Complicating matters is that even medications blur the terms, mouth fungus is not the same as true fungus.

You dont need antibiotics. I think you need potassium permanganate. Can you get that?

Well, I think you may be in luck as NTLabs make a ready-made PP solution

http://www.swelluk.com/koi-carp/koi-pond-t...ng-dip-915.html

This link will show you what it looks like, but try googling to see if there are any NT Labs suppliers near you - otherwise maybe you can order it from UK? I'm not sure if there would be problems with shipping or not.

Yes there should be something similar in Sweden. Anette hun I think that meds you have should be taken out soon as any copper containing meds are particualrly harsh in water with low pH as I seem to remember yours is. Under 7.0 its not advised.

Oh dear. I have no idea where to find it but I am searching the net... oh dear...

Could anyone send me some PP?

Sending meds to Sweden may take as long as a week. Thats too late. You need to find what other fish keepers use in your own country and get it now. What is the furan meds you have there? Doesn't that contain the antibiotic nitrafurazone? That would be better than the dessamor.

Sorry Pixel, double post :P

No, I can't find anyone selling this, could it have another name? Is it very dangerous?

I am going to the pharmacy and ask them now.

Perfect. Its also an antibiotic that treats for many strains of bacteria that cause columnaris/mouth rot. Flexibacter is usually susceptible to it. Nifurpirinol is an antibiotic.

Okay, I've been around, and there is no way to get PP here, and Pet shop was out of aquafuran as well.

But I'm going to Big Town tomorrow, checking all pet shops.

Minibus looks OK, swims around and pieces of the stuff is falling off.

Hold your fins for her...

Okay, an update.

MiniBus was in Dessamor, but I have changed it to Furamor-P.

But I think she has improved a bit, no more redness.

Picture086-2.jpg

She is so beautiful...

Picture095-1.jpg