Sign in to follow this  
Guest GoldieSalvo

Black Smuge Death

That is fantastic news!! Hoping for a complete recovery :gfish:

Hi everyone, Goldie Salvo is doing GREAT! :D He's looking alot more "gold" and is swimming around like his old self even comes to greet me in the morning when I feed him. He still has a few faint streaks on his fin and tail but improving without meds so far. I can't wait to get him a new tank I'm still searching hard online. Thinking about getting him a friend, would 80 litres be ok for 2 gold fish? Read the tank set up pages, very informative. The other thing I'd like to ask is would he grow any larger if I put him in a bigger tank or are his growing days over being 12 years old? Can't say enough thank yous to all your kind advice! :heart K

I don't think you've ever said how long your GoldieSalvo is. But, as it's a comet, they really need 20 gallons per fish once they reach like 6-7 inches or so. This is because they not only produce so much ammonia, but also because they are fast swimmers and love and need to swim fast so a lot of horizontal swimming space needs to be provided for these kind of fish. It's sweet that you want to give him a friend. Goldfish are very social and love friends, but there would be a couple of issues that you would have if you wanted to do that.

One, as I've already said, a longer/larger goldfish needs 20 gallons of water each and, two, fish really should be paired up equally size-wise to avoid bullying or unequal distribution of food. So, any friend of GoldieSalvo should be about as large as he, which definitely would require a larger tank, approximately 155-150 litres.

Glad to hear on GoldieSalvo's continuing improvements! YAY!

Guest GoldieSalvo

Hi Guys, I've noticed the No2 is up slightly around 0.5 :o . I know the size of the tank is an issue, but for the meantime would a 25% - 50% water change suffice? I did a 100% water change about 5 days ago.

Try 50% and see. Test again. Base your water changes on your readings and even if they are perfect dont forget to clear bacterial load by a regular 100% change monthly (once cycled).

If you are still cycling or getting tweaks you need to get back to partial daily water changes for a while.

Every time the nitrites go up he is being stressed and the chances are higher that disease will re-appear so watch the levels closely.

Oh wow that is neat! And a nice piece of furniture! Good luck.. :D

Great sized tank! Now, with a tank that size, you CAN get GoldieSalvo a friend! Yay for you! Keep those nitrites down!

Guest GoldieSalvo

Hi again Trinket and Lynda you lovely knowledgeable fishy persons, yes that's right I'm talking to yous ;)

I read some where on this forum recently that rainwater can be beneficial in tanks (a bit vague on the specifics) but when I did a search I couldn't find anything.

It's been raining here in Melbourne and I've collected some in a bucket. Would it be ok to do partial water changes with a bit of rain water? I'll test it first of course.

It used to be suggested to use rainwater for everything because it was so pure, but that was back in the days before pollution, smog and acid rain. Unless you're way out in the country and your skies are nice and blue and clear, I don't know whether I would trust rainwater. There could be so many chemicals in it and the standard tests won't test for those things. A reverse osmosis system would remove any unseen baddies, but then, it would remove all those same things from tap water as well. Personally, living in LA, I don't think I'd use OUR rainwater for my aquariums. At least I know that there's no germs in my tap water and what there is lurking in my tap water; i.e., chlorine, chloramines and trace minerals can be removed with a dechlorinator. I'm not basing this on any specific facts, only general ones, so, this is just my opinion.

Edited by Lynda Von G

Guest GoldieSalvo

Ok Lynda thanks for that advice :) I'll being using the rainwater on the plants.

Nitrate seems to be up again slightly today :( kind of hard to tell as strip test levels are colored and comparison is difficult, I won't be buying those again.

Ph is good around 7.5-8

I did a 50% water change yesterday.

He's swimming well, eating and seems generally happier however the black "streaks" are becoming more prominent and I'm noticing them now on his body.

Is there anything else I can do to keeps the nitrates down apart from water changes?

I suppose I should start him on the meds suggested.

Black streaks, also known as melanophore migration, are, basically, scabs. They are indications of healing. So, those are actually a good thing. As long as you know why you have them and have remedied the problem that caused them.

Water changes are the absolute best, and really, the only way to keep your nitrates down. You've made reference to nitrites in the past. Do you still mean nitrites or are you on nitrates now? Make sure you're careful about stating whether you're talking about nitrites or nitrates. That little difference between an "i" and an "a" can be significant. But, regardless, water changes are still the best for keeping ammonia, nitrites and nitrates low. Nothing else will fix those things.

Meds are always a last resort. I'd say hold off on them. If GoldieSalvo seems happy, is eating, your water parameters are good and he's healing, I'd just say keep watching him and see how it goes. The meds may not be needed.

How's it looking for that big tank?

Guest GoldieSalvo

Great info Lynda! You know I always thought it was 2 nitrates. I now realise it's nitrates and nitrites, just one little letter makes all the difference!! I couldn't work out why nitrates would covert into itself into nitrates it didn't make sense, I'm not too bright but I can lift heavy things ;) .

Ok so he is definitely better, eating swimming alert so I will hold off the meds.

The tank on ebay has still 6 days to go still at $99 starting bid, hopefully I can get it for $150-$200 but I suspect it will hit the $250-300 mark, somewhat out of my price range unfortunately. There are other tanks I'm also watching but this is the one I WANT so fingers crossed

So I'll continue with the water changes.

Thanks heaps again! I should be ok for a while now and I'll let you know how I go with the big tank

Guest GoldieSalvo

YAY YAY YAY!! :D

I just won the ebay tank/cabinet for $365 buckaroos :o ahh well live now pay later

Ahhh Goldie Salvo won't know himself from a 30 L - 152 L

He's still getting black marks over him but I'm taking your advice Lynda that this is scabbing, he's alot happier than a few weeks ago

Now the filter, can anyone suggest a good canister filter for a 152 L tank?

Thanks

Guest GoldieSalvo

Hey guys sorry for the double post, thinking about it now, I can do a search for filters no need to reply.

I was just being lazy, you have other sick fish to help, but one last thing...............

"I'm so excited and I just can't hide it" :D:heart

Congrats on the tank :D

Guest GoldieSalvo

Hi, Goldie Salvo is a happy comet and will be in tank paradise once I get his 150L tank up and running, just found a filter but it will set me back $100 so I have to wait a few weeks (unfortunately) before I can afford it

Just wondering (if any one knows) how long the black streaks (scabbing) will be around for?

He's still got them on his fin and tail he's now had them for at least 1 month.

Some other great news is that he had a "tumor" near his eye and it is somewhat diminishing due to the better water conditions lately (and I always thought there was nothing I could do :( )

Another thing I'm finding recently is the ph level is around 8.5, is this too high?

Cheers K :)

I'm so glad you got the tank! You will really see a difference in Goldie's behaviour once he gets in there! He'll be swimming like crazy! When you set it up, I would suggest just transferring everything straight over. All the water from your existing tank and set up your existing filter right alongside the new one. That way, Goldie gets to be in the new tank right away, and, you'll probably have a bit of bump in the cycle seeing as you'll have more water, but doing daily testing and appropriate water changes during this time will keep that in line. Then, once you're sure the new tank is cycled, you can take out the old filter.

I'm also glad that "tumor" is going down! See what can happen?! You're doing so great! 8.5 is high, but high is better than low. You could try putting a piece of driftwood in the tank. That could help bring down the ph. Make sure you soak it really well first in other water to leech out the tannins. Tannins will turn the water a lovely yellow color.

The black streaks could still be there for a while. A month or more is not uncommon. Just make sure your water is good and healthy and you do the weekly 50% changes and once monthly 100% changes to keep out the bad bacterias. This will keep your fish healthy and, in turn, the black streaks will eventually go away. And even possibly, the tumor!

Don't forget the pictures of Goldie (and his new friend?) in the new tank! We love pictures! :exactly

Guest GoldieSalvo

Thanks Lynda, :) just need to clarify what you're suggesting

Fill up the new tank with treated water add the new filter, stones, drift wood or whatever, then pretty much the same day or next transfer all old tank water, filter and objects into the new tank along with goldie salvo? (leaving him to last of course and introducing him gently to the new water)

Therefore there will be no need to cycle the tank without him as long as I keep an eye on the levels and do daily water changes?

I will certainly post some pics I'm thinking before and after shots of Goldie Salvos current residence and his big move :gcar:to the penthouse...........

Basically, yes. Of course, if you're transferring all of the water in the existing tank to the new tank, you'll need to leave room for all of that, so don't fill the tank all the way up with new, treated water. Put in enough water for Goldie to transfer over to, then add in all the old water, then top it off with more new water. Otherwise, your procedure is exactly correct. That tank is big enough that it will be able to handle Goldie's waste without a huge bump or crash in the cycle I think.

The only real reason to cycle without fish is for the person who isn't willing to do daily testing and water changes and pay the close attention required to keep the water healthy. If you are willing to do this, then there's no reason why you can't put Goldie in the new tank right away. Just remember that if you do, you have made the committment to keep that water healthy, no matter what that requires.

Once you've cycled your new tank with Goldie, and it's been going good for about a month, you can then get Goldie a friend. Make sure that you quarantine that new fish in your old tank with salt and prazi for at least 2 weeks and up to a month before introducing it into your big, new, beautiful tank and healthy GoldieSalvo! And, since Goldie has been so used to being alone, he may not know how to handle someone else sharing his space, so there may be some issues for a little while, but he'll get used to it quite quickly. This is all way down the road, but I just wanted to mention it.

We love before and afters, especially when the after is for the better!

Edited by Lynda Von G

Guest GoldieSalvo

Great! Thanks Lynda

I don't think I could wait 1 month before I put him in the new tank it's all so exciting, I can't stop thinking about it!

Just gotta get the filter, and a few bits and pieces and away we go!

Thanks again, :D

Guest GoldieSalvo

Great! Thanks Lynda

I don't think I could wait 1 month before I put him in the new tank it's all so exciting, I can't stop thinking about it!

Just gotta get the filter, and a few bits and pieces and away we go!

Thanks again, :D

I think that's the biggest reason I said go ahead! I'm excited for you too! :tbanana:hi5:pianobanana:bounce:panana:greenbanana: