Can I Make A Request?

liz_okerson

Oops, missed that one when I pinned all the other "goldfish of the month" articles - it is up there now! :thumbs:

is there any kind of gallonage requirements for a bubble eye? i mean, i know they need at least 10g per fish but as far as depth, does the depth have any effect on their bubble? im just asking because i have a 35g hex that is currently empty...and i have two bubble eyes in quarantine...but if its too deep for their bubbles i'll figure something else out.

35 gal are pretty much too deep for any variety of goldfish. We talked about this when you first got that tank set up, remember? Goldfish are lateral swimmers and need gross amounts of oxygen. A tall, narrow tank is just not a great environment for them.

You should go tropical with that tank!

no tropical tanks for me. i'm currently getting used to being a goldfish addict, cant add another addiction at the moment. i'm just going to focus on the goldies for now (and my betta). i finished my version of the diy canister filter this morning (finally!) and installed it in the 35g so there's tons of filtration and water movement and the bubblers are set up pretty nicely to keep it well oxygenated. i'm remodeling right now so had to tear down the 55g and move everyone into temp housing in my 10g, 29g, and 35g hex in the back of the house. the bubble eyes are fairly inactive which is why i wondered if the hex would be ok for them. they really dont do much swimming anyways besides to do a little food troll once in a while. ive only had them for 2 weeks so far but the bottom sitting seems to be a normal thing for them. theyre quite active when i drop some food in and they do the occasional leftover patrol but beyond that they just like to hang out. (i'm still keeping an eye on them tho!) so i set them up in the 29g and have the common and comets back in the hex for now until i can set up the 55g again. it really has been musical tanks here lately.