Mouth Fungus? Please See Pic

CIMG2578.jpg

front1.jpg

Three 5" lionheads in a 38G barebuttom tank. I'm currently treating the tank with Prazi and Salt and today is the 6th day into the treatment. I did a 80% w/c on Sunday followed by the Prazi/Salt treatment.

Ammonia: 0

PH: 7.6

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 7 PPM

Temp: 80F

I do 80-90% w/c twice a week and feeding pro-gold, hikari frozen food and green pea twice or three times a day.

I discovered the fish was infected by fluke last week, so I started prazi/salt treatment since last Wednesday. Now it seems the fluke is gone, but a new problem found.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with him? He is still actively eating. I noticed both eyes are abit of big too (pop eye?)

Thanks in advance

Are those craters in your fishes' wen where the red spots are? I am not an expert, but I would expect a fungus to be white and not red. What I am seeing looks more like ulcers. The pop-eye is also concerning.

I am not advising you to use it (a moderator will have to do that), but do you have Metromeds on hand? Also, do you have a hospital tank available?

Also, is there a way that you could reduce the tank temperature? If your fish does have a fungus, the warm water will make it grow faster. I have had good luck with an inexpensive clip-on fan blowing across the water surface.

I have a 10g, but shouldn't I treating the whole tank since the other two fish might get it as well?

So metromed would work? I dont have any at this moment.

I don't know the answer to either of these questions. Metromeds is indicated for hexamita, which can cause holes in the wen. I don't know if this is what your fish has or not. Hopefully a moderator will be along soon to help.

I think right now with everyone having warmer waters is having soo much troubles :( ...I would do as Kristen says try and keep it cooler by a clip on fan ,leave lights off, and LOTS of aeration ..it may just be a little wen growth that has gotton a little infected ..maybe take a q tip and put some peroxide on the area (be careful not to get it in eyes mouth or gills ) and only do it once ..and keep doing those water changes :)

I think right now with everyone having warmer waters is having soo much troubles :( ...I would do as Kristen says try and keep it cooler by a clip on fan ,leave lights off, and LOTS of aeration ..it may just be a little wen growth that has gotton a little infected ..maybe take a q tip and put some peroxide on the area (be careful not to get it in eyes mouth or gills ) and only do it once ..and keep doing those water changes :)

hi-d, what about the prazi/salt in the tank at this point. Should I do a 80-90% w/c do remove all the Prazi/Salt? I was planning to do a 15-30 days Prazi treatment, now I guess I need to deal with this first? I'm going to do some research see what would I get.

Could overdosed Prazi or salt causing this problem? I'm sure the Prazi/Salt dosages aren't exact.

Thanks for all the input.

BTW, I'm turned on my A/C in the room, hopefully it will cool down the tank alittle.

Edited by 32Bit_Fish

I don't think that you need to worry about leaving prazi/salt in the water. The salt will be beneficial one way or another and the prazi won't affect anything adversely. I would leave things be. If the fish is infested with flukes, they will weaken its ability to fight anything else off. For the time being I would stick with the treatment program that you've laid out.

I think that Heidi's idea of swabbing the area with peroxide is a good one.

When was the last time that you rinsed off your filter media? Sometimes gunky filter media can harbor fungus or bacteria. If you haven't done that lately I would do it now (in discarded tank water, of course).

I don't think that you need to worry about leaving prazi/salt in the water. The salt will be beneficial one way or another and the prazi won't affect anything adversely. I would leave things be. If the fish is infested with flukes, they will weaken its ability to fight anything else off. For the time being I would stick with the treatment program that you've laid out.

I think that Heidi's idea of swabbing the area with peroxide is a good one.

When was the last time that you rinsed off your filter media? Sometimes gunky filter media can harbor fungus or bacteria. If you haven't done that lately I would do it now (in discarded tank water, of course).

yes I agree with Kristen In warmer weather watch your filters a bit more and rinse them often in tank water they get disgusting a lot more quicker..if you change out water more often just re add the prazi and salt to the new amount of water

Could overdosed Prazi or salt causing this problem? I'm sure the Prazi/Salt dosages aren't exact.

I have read that you can double dose prazi without causing a problem, so I don't think that's it. And I don't think an overdose of salt would cause ulcers -- I would think the initial symptoms of overdosed salt would be things like bottom sitting, clamped fins (hard to see on a lionhead), darting, etc.

BTW, I sympathize with your frustration over the ongoing problems you've been having with your fishes' health. We all know that you are a conscientious fish-keeper and it doesn't seem fair that you've gotten hit with more than your share of problems. Unfortunately it seems that many goldfish come to us with pre-existing health conditions that don't make themselves evident immediately.

Until things clear up, the only thing that I can recommend is that you adopt a more standard feeding schedule (two light feedings per day). All I can think of is that perhaps heavy feeding could be contributing to the overgrowth of bacteria and/or fungus in your tank, even when ammonia/nitrite/nitrate look fine.

I never cleaned my filter or filter media cuz I think read a sticky on this board that gunks/dirt are good for beneficial bacteria growth, so I never cleaned mine and both filters are at least three months old.

Also I've never vaccum the tank buttom during w/c because I'ver never be able to find any fish waste at the buttom of the tank. I guess the filter has been doing a great job filtering the water.

The sick has been treated with Prazi once before, but it was only two days of treatment. The other two I got would never treated with Prazi since their arrival.

I never cleaned my filter or filter media cuz I think read a sticky on this board that gunks/dirt are good for beneficial bacteria growth, so I never cleaned mine and both filters are at least three months old.

Also I've never vaccum the tank buttom during w/c because I'ver never be able to find any fish waste at the buttom of the tank. I guess the filter has been doing a great job filtering the water.

The sick has been treated with Prazi once before, but it was only two days of treatment. The other two I got would never treated with Prazi since their arrival.

you never rinsed your filters in tank water??..overtime your filter will slow down in the turn over ...I bet this is where the problem lays I would put some tank water in a bucket and rinse and squish those filters and rinse out the intake and filter itself..do not do it in regular water you will kill the bb's ,bad bacteria can grow in that gunk sludge in your filter can cause problems ...you may even find mold ..that has happened before

Edited by hi-d

Your filter media ought to be swished out in discarded tank water on a regular basis. Daryl recommends doing it at every water change. The beneficial bacteria that metabolize ammonia and nitrite are easily out-competed by other bacteria and fungi growing on your filter media. It is not good to have a filter that is squeaky clean, but it is also not good to have one that is covered in gunk. I think that lack of filter maintenance may be at least part of your problem (at least in this case). Personally, I replace my filter floss on a monthly basis and swish it out at every water change. I use my fingertips to gently "scrub" the goopy stuff off in a bucket of water I've removed from the tank. I don't do anything with my ceramic rings. I have been able to maintain a strong biological filter so far with this routine.

Edited to say: Heidi -- Great minds think alike -- you and I have been posting right on top of each other on this thread!

Your filter media ought to be swished out in discarded tank water on a regular basis. Daryl recommends doing it at every water change. The beneficial bacteria that metabolize ammonia and nitrite are easily out-competed by other bacteria and fungi growing on your filter media. It is not good to have a filter that is squeaky clean, but it is also not good to have one that is covered in gunk. I think that lack of filter maintenance may be at least part of your problem (at least in this case). Personally, I replace my filter floss on a monthly basis and swish it out at every water change. I use my fingertips to gently "scrub" the goopy stuff off in a bucket of water I've removed from the tank. I don't do anything with my ceramic rings. I have been able to maintain a strong biological filter so far with this routine.

Edited to say: Heidi -- Great minds think alike -- you and I have been posting right on top of each other on this thread!

:rofl hehehe!!

Where can I get some peroxide? Is there any other way to treat this besides taking the fish out of water and manually apply the medication on his wound?

I just cleaned up my filters and they were really dirty. Thanks again for the reminder. I've never thought a 3 months old filter could cause this problem. Goldfish are really dirty.

Where can I get some peroxide? Is there any other way to treat this besides taking the fish out of water and manually apply the medication on his wound?

You can get a bottle of peroxide for less than a dollar at any drug or grocery store. It will be with the first aid supplies, band-aids, etc. I think applying it with a Q-tip above the water is the only way. It is not hard -- you can even leave most of the fishes' body in the water so you are at no risk of dropping the fish on the floor. Remember to avoid the gills and eyes.

Hopefully cleaning your filters, cleaning the wound with peroxide, and keeping perfect water for the next few days will be the ticket.

Hydrogen peroxide... literally describing the chemical formula: H2O2 (one hydrogen per oxygen, in sets of two).

It should say RIGHT on the bottle. My bottle says: HYDROGEN PEROXIDE. Topical solution USP. First Aid Antiseptic, Oral Debriding Agent. On the back it says, "Active Ingredient: Hydrogen Peroxide (stabilized)....3%"

Here's is a Wikipedia article for your own knowledge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

I should be able to find a bottle of peroxide in any drug store, the bottle should say peroxide correct?

It will say hydrogen peroxide. The bottle is usually brown with a white lid, about 16-24 ounces.

Should I treat the tank with antibiotic medication as well? Can Prazi and Salt mix with any antibiotic medications?

Or I need to move the fish to a separate tank? Thanks

For the time being I would not treat the water with antibiotic medication -- those meds tend to be caustic and can cause more problems than they solve. A moderator can advise you if you need antibiotic food.

If I were you I would hold tight for a day or so to see if your dirty filter was the problem and if the problem solves it self now that the filter is clean.