Sign in to follow this  
Sally2007

Female Betta Fighting?

I know that it is verry rare that female betta fight but 4 months ago I bought 2 pretty betta well I didnt know if u separate them for awhile they will fight when u put them in 1 tank 2gether. When I brought them home I treated them with parasite clear and I put them in 2 seprate containers anyways just last month I bough a 5 gallon aquarium and I put both betta in side omg I couldnt believe my eyes there were fighting anyways I bought a divider. Its verry difficult to clean the aquarium with the divider in the aquarium. my question is there any easy way to clean the aquarium without taking any fish out the aquarium? any suggestions?

Guest Nicky

That happened to me as well. I woke up in the morning to find out one of my female bettas finless :o . I immediately moved and treated her with melafix. Her fins grew back and she is doing fine now. Phew...

About your question, you can put one in a plastic cup and let it float in the water. This way you can clean the aquarium without worrying about the bettas fighting.

Its actually common for both males and females to fight, weather they have been around each other for an extended time or not. As for cleaning, you can use a siphon and a scrubber on a handle.

Its actually common for both males and females to fight, weather they have been around each other for an extended time or not. As for cleaning, you can use a siphon and a scrubber on a handle.

there both female ...

That happened to me as well. I woke up in the morning to find out one of my female bettas finless :o . I immediately moved and treated her with melafix. Her fins grew back and she is doing fine now. Phew...

About your question, you can put one in a plastic cup and let it float in the water. This way you can clean the aquarium without worrying about the bettas fighting.

Thats pretty weird and i wanted 3 female's ...o man lol...

I only have one male betta, so I am no expert by any means but-- I read about someone setting up what they called a "sorority" of female bettas and they mentioned how the girls need to have adequate territories or else they will fight. It's important to give them plenty of space. 5 gallons is unfortunately not big enough to give two female bettas room. I keep my one betta in a 10gal and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I only have one male betta, so I am no expert by any means but-- I read about someone setting up what they called a "sorority" of female bettas and they mentioned how the girls need to have adequate territories or else they will fight. It's important to give them plenty of space. 5 gallons is unfortunately not big enough to give two female bettas room. I keep my one betta in a 10gal and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hey yes i have a male betta also and yes i have him in a 10 gallon and hes so happy and no i will never put him in a smaller tank but my female's are small so i put them in a smaller space :)

there both female ...

I know, what I'm trying to say is that both sexes can be just as aggressive or just as docile. Keeping the same sex together won't always get the results we want. Females will fight each other, just depends on how much and if it warrants separation.

Personally I kept a 20 long betta tank with 2 males, and I believe 5 females at one time. No dividers. Both males were very docile and extremely conditioned. The only problem I ever had was from one LARGE female. She would chase after both males and females at time, but generally did nothing to cause me to fear for their well being. Even with that said, I have kept bettas that were very aggressive and would possible kill mates if I hadn't separated them.

there both female ...

I know, what I'm trying to say is that both sexes can be just as aggressive or just as docile. Keeping the same sex together won't always get the results we want. Females will fight each other, just depends on how much and if it warrants separation.

Personally I kept a 20 long betta tank with 2 males, and I believe 5 females at one time. No dividers. Both males were very docile and extremely conditioned. The only problem I ever had was from one LARGE female. She would chase after both males and females at time, but generally did nothing to cause me to fear for their well being. Even with that said, I have kept bettas that were very aggressive and would possible kill mates if I hadn't separated them.

o wow i wish they would just stay 2gether but i guess i was wrong the tank looks so good without the divider...o well...

Just because the fish happen to be smaller in stature does not mean that they need less room, especially if you are trying to keep two fairly aggressive, territorial fish in the same tank. Sushi67 is quite right-- although it DOES depend on the particular fish's temperament, given adequate room the likelihood that two female betta will fight is less.

Just because the fish happen to be smaller in stature does not mean that they need less room, especially if you are trying to keep two fairly aggressive, territorial fish in the same tank. Sushi67 is quite right-- although it DOES depend on the particular fish's temperament, given adequate room the likelihood that two female betta will fight is less.

Yes i know that i have a 10 gallon already waiting for my 2 girls betta i just dont have a stand yet thats y there in the 5 gallon untill i can find a stand :)

I also think aggression is more of an issue when you only have 2 females. Then, they are constantly bickering with one another, with no others to distract them. I have a betta sorority: a 20 gallon, heavily planted tank with 6 females. They all do fine. I do think that individual personality plays a part, but you may have more success adding another one to two females, once you get the big tank. Provide plenty of hiding places as well. I really love my betta tank. I hope you can make your's work. Good luck!

I also think aggression is more of an issue when you only have 2 females. Then, they are constantly bickering with one another, with no others to distract them. I have a betta sorority: a 20 gallon, heavily planted tank with 6 females. They all do fine. I do think that individual personality plays a part, but you may have more success adding another one to two females, once you get the big tank. Provide plenty of hiding places as well. I really love my betta tank. I hope you can make your's work. Good luck!

Thanks i hope so also :)

Ok so i got my 10 gallon betta tank set up and i have alot of hiding places so i put the 2 female in the tank and they were fighting one of them bite a piece of the other fin off :o .... I quickly removed them and added salt and betta fix to the hurt betta. I dunno what i should do now should I get another female betta and add all 3 in the tank or should i just keep the betta's seperated?

Just to be clear-- where are your two bettas now? Are they both in the 10, both in the 5, or one in each?

Swift has a good point, but 20 gallons for 6 bettas gives them all a lot of room. Your two girls are already very aggressive towards one another-- you won't know how they'll react to a new fish, or what a new fish's personality will be.

I would keep one in the 5 and one in the 10. They obviously just don't get on with one another.

Just to be clear-- where are your two bettas now? Are they both in the 10, both in the 5, or one in each?

Swift has a good point, but 20 gallons for 6 bettas gives them all a lot of room. Your two girls are already very aggressive towards one another-- you won't know how they'll react to a new fish, or what a new fish's personality will be.

I would keep one in the 5 and one in the 10. They obviously just don't get on with one another.

well what i did i put one in the 10 gallon and im treating the other one in the 5. the reason y i bough them was because i knew they could live 2gether in 1 tank and because they are cute lol...

i dont have any more bettafix is it ok if i count there treatment with melafix ? i know there both the same

I don't know what's in bettafix, but Melafix is good for fin damage. If they are the same, that should be fine.

Although in general female bettas can live together, obviously these ones cannot.

I don't know what's in bettafix, but Melafix is good for fin damage. If they are the same, that should be fine.

Although in general female bettas can live together, obviously these ones cannot.

Thanks joy :)

For successful keeping of female bettas, it is always recommended to have a minimum of 5 females...this helps them set a good hierarchy amongst themselves and hence they don't fight..nipping in the beginning is very normal but with 5 females things are settled...with two females they are sure to fight like males...5 females personally, I think should be in a minimum 10 gallon tank..with plants and enough places to hide...

I have 2 females in my 55 with two singletail goldies and one doubletail goldie and they never fight. I've seen them chase each other, but they've never fought. I have a third female that I'd like to add, but she's still so tiny. I have her 'filling out' in a 2 gallon tank.

Plus my two boys. One is in a 29 with 4 minnows and 2 goldies and the other is in a 5gal with 3 pest snails.

i previously kept 3 bettas together in a 6 gal.

i think it's important to have 3 or more so that the dominant female isn't always picking on the only other fish in there.

like sunshine girl said i guess 5 is the recommended number.

it's also important that you add them to the new tank at the same time.

so neither fish has their own territory set up.

or if you have a tank big enough like anic's where they might swim around all day and not bump into each other. :D

y dont u keep 1 in the 5 gallon and 1 in the 10 gallon if they dont get along :) ? Or like suggested u could get more. I have 3 tigerbarbs in a 10 gallon all seperated and i've been wanting to add more to see if it fixes the problem but im afraid that if I get 3 more and they still fight wat will I do with the other 3..cuz i hate giving fish back to the petstores. I have all my bettas seperate. 1 male in a 5 gal, 1 male in a 2.56 gal, and the female in a 1 gal. They're all doing great by themsleves :)

I have 2 females in my 55 with two singletail goldies and one doubletail goldie and they never fight. I've seen them chase each other, but they've never fought. I have a third female that I'd like to add, but she's still so tiny. I have her 'filling out' in a 2 gallon tank.

Plus my two boys. One is in a 29 with 4 minnows and 2 goldies and the other is in a 5gal with 3 pest snails.

I really think, having bettas with goldies is a very :badidea ....for the very simple fact that bettas are tropical fish and need heated water in the range of 80 degrees F..Goldies are coldwater fish and need setups with temperature ranges ideall between 68-74....of course this just changes with seasons and other factors...but having bettas in cooler temperatures will definitely shorten their lives...Nipping, chasing and compatibility comes way later..first wrong tank setups hamper the health and age of a fish...I would really separate them...have a 0 gallon alone for female bettas with at least 5 to start with..or just keep them separate, one each in a bowl or small heated tank..

I really think, having bettas with goldies is a very :badidea ....for the very simple fact that bettas are tropical fish and need heated water in the range of 80 degrees F..Goldies are coldwater fish and need setups with temperature ranges ideall between 68-74....of course this just changes with seasons and other factors...but having bettas in cooler temperatures will definitely shorten their lives...

I totally agree!! When I first kept my bettas I wasn't good about making sure there water was warm enough.. Now I try to keep their tanks around 78-80 and you should see the difference it makes!! They are much more active, and alert! Right now the temp on the tank is relying only on regular room temperature.. The other day the weather was a bit cooler than usual, and the temps in the tank went to 74. No joke, the spoiled bettas started laying around like "umm no! I am NOT having this cold water, so you better fix it!". Warmed the water, and back to swimming!! Their colors are brighter, they hide less.. The temperature difference alone is a good enough reason to keep them housed seperately in my opinion.

I really think, having bettas with goldies is a very :badidea ....for the very simple fact that bettas are tropical fish and need heated water in the range of 80 degrees F..Goldies are coldwater fish and need setups with temperature ranges ideall between 68-74....of course this just changes with seasons and other factors...but having bettas in cooler temperatures will definitely shorten their lives...Nipping, chasing and compatibility comes way later..first wrong tank setups hamper the health and age of a fish...I would really separate them...have a 0 gallon alone for female bettas with at least 5 to start with..or just keep them separate, one each in a bowl or small heated tank..

OUCH.. :unsure: I meant 10 gallon tank with filter and heater alone for female bettas..!!..oops..sorry a typo...LOL