Filter Efficiency And Flow Rate

Well for start this is just a general question where maybe we can get some good info. It is well noted that the recommended filtration is 10x per hour. Now the question is how does efficiency come into play? Example and 350gph HOB has now where near the amount of biomedia of say a medium to large canister filter that has the same flow rate. The water will be in contact with the media longer with a canister filter making it more efficient. Now how does that affect the flow rate requirement?

In the opinion of myself and my boyfriend Thomas (A Penguin on Koko's), there is a trade-off between maximum filter flow and contact time with filter media. When it comes right down to it, it really depends on your individual setup.

For example, in a very lightly stocked tank, you could probably get away with a filter that has less than 10x filtration (efficiency) in lieu of a filter jam-packed with filter media (efficaciousness). However, in a heavily stocked tank, you would likely do better with a filter that flows faster (efficiency) while sacrificing media time (efficaciousness), in order to collect detritus and move the water around.

Ideally, you want a filter that is both efficient and efficacious.

i was going to ask practically the same question....i was looking up reviews and such for canister filters and i thought for the high price of them that you'd at least get more gph. i just cant see spending $200 on a filter that has less gph than one of my hob's that was $30

They're expensive because they're more difficult to construct, I'm guessing. It gets ridiculous to compare HOBs and canisters in terms of dollars per GPH. But, on the flip side, canisters hold more filter media, so you can more effectively grow bacteria colonies while sacrificing the efficiency of GPH.

I love canisters-- they are quiet, discreet, and powerful. I hate the price. This is why I have 1 used Eheim and 1 home-made canister.