Fry Not In School

lantern567

The fry are growing! They were first noticed as tiny bug-like creatures on June 12th, and now they look like real fish!

This little one is about 3/4 inch long, excluding tail.

Fry20080629.jpg

(Ok, I could have posted the picture in the Worst Fishy Photos thread, but I'm still practicing all the suggestions folks have made, and it's still the best I can do. :unsure: )

One thing I have noticed is that the fry do not school. Basically, they ignore one another, and spend all their time poking about and presumably eating. There are 4 large fry (about 3/4 inch long), and the other 5 or so are about half that size, hatched later. They have a 40-gallon long tank, so there is plenty of space for them to just hang out. Do fry normally school? Or are they so un-stressed in an aquarium so they do not feel the need?

Also, when should I start seeing what color they will be? Do I see a hint of orange here, or am I just imagining things?

They grow day by day, and it so much fun to see their progress!

Adorable little one!

Fry normally ignore each other, yes, they just swim around looking for food!

Calico fish get their color early, but "brownies", like this one, changes to orange normally before they are a year old.

But I have a "Brownie" who is over 2 years old! :heart

Goldfish fry do not school for a while. It is one of the distinctive things about them. They are little individuals from egg to about 2 or 3 months and then they start to school and chase and follow and rub against each other. I always noticed each fry had like an indivdual electric fence around it and if another fry came close it would dart away. Instinctively.

Your little gold one is adoreable. You wont see color just yet at only one month or so. What are they eating now?

It is interesting that you both saw this non-schooling behavior. It is so interesting to see their personalities. I will definitely pay attention to their changing behavior as they grow, and watch for schooling next month.

I feed the babies Hikari First Bites, which they seem to like. I also give them frozen baby brine shrimp about every 4 days or so, but I actually saw fish spit them out on two separate occasions, so I'm not sure they like them. I also put an adult sinking Pro-Gold pellet into their dish once in a while, just in case they become ready for it. Any thoughts on when this should be? At this point, I'm not sure who is eating it - probably the tadpole. The tadpole gets spirulina algae tablets and shrimp pellets, and I've seen the goldfish poking around his dish, too. And they have algae on the back wall of the aquarium which is always of interest. A few times, I saw a little fish tearing vigorously on the hornwort.

I know, I know, I'm not supposed to have the tadpole and the fish in the same tank. But it's such a nice, large green habitat, and I hate to ruin it for anybody. Frogs are apparently very hard to keep, too, and I hate to make a change. I want frogs in the pond very much. On a frog forum, they warn me how much ammonia goldfish produce, and here I read it is not recommended. But in truth, nobody seems to bother anyone, and nobody's been eaten. My only concern is when he gets a big frog-mouth (maybe a month) and could actually go after the fish, but if they grow this fast, I probably don't have to worry. In any case, they will all have to live in the pond eventually anyway. Right now, he's huge and bumbling, and the fish are very fast (just like their parents!)

It will be interesting to see how their colors change. When I got my first "feeder fish" in December, I think they were about 1/2 inch longer than these are, and they were orange. It will be interesting to see these change - or maybe they will stay chocolate-colored. :)