Sign in to follow this  
Chrissy_Bee

Can I Ever Find A Goldy Sitter?

Ever notice that no matter what, nobody (exept true 'goldfish people') seem to be able to take care of goldies while you're out of town?

Needless to say, I've been out of town :P

I went away for the weekend and told my bf he didn't even need to feed the fish if he wanted, but he got a little offended and insisted that he take care of them. So I put their food in a pill container and even showed him how to hand feed Elaine (who can't swim well) and he actually seemed a little excited about it.

I get home today....their light isn't on. No biggie, I guess he didn't realize it's not on a timer like my trop tank.

Then I look at the fish and see that Elaine is stuck behind her airstone! It's a rectangular one with a plastic base. I moved her out and the poor thing has a big scrape that's very angry looking. All the surrounding skin is bright red :( I'm not too worried yet, because she tends to develop blood spots quite easily and they usually clear up fast. I've treated the water and I'm watching her closely.

So I ask my bf if he noticed she was stuck. He said he noticed last night when he fed her, but didn't know how to move her safely. I totally understand this, I just can't believe how if I even go away for a few days something seems to happen to my fish! I swear, I'm setting up a webcam or something next time, so I can call him and give him directions on their care!

Seriously, I AM planning on a webcam when I go out of town. I am still trying to think of who could take care of my fish while I am gone (won't be for another few months). I am thinking of putting the local aquarium maintenance guy/LFS owner on retainer and giving him a key to my house. That way if I see anything suspicious on the webcam or there is a power outage or something I can send him over to investigate. He is not really all that knowledgeable about goldfish, per se, but at least I could trust him to test the water and do a water change!

I hope Elaine feels better soon!

I am thinking of putting the local aquarium maintenance guy/LFS owner on retainer and giving him a key to my house. That way if I see anything suspicious on the webcam or there is a power outage or something I can send him over to investigate. He is not really all that knowledgeable about goldfish, per se, but at least I could trust him to test the water and do a water change!

That would be a good idea if he'd be up for it. I actually work for a professional pet sitting company. When I got hired I really emphasized that I'm into fish but the only people who seem to use the service are dog/cat owners. I feel like placing an add letting people know I'm available! Fish can be just as, or more, demanding than furry critters!

I swear, I'm setting up a webcam or something next time, so I can call him and give him directions on their care!

Nanny Cam? Nope, it's Fishy Cam!

I'm going out of town for two weeks and I have the same anxiousness. We're getting a friend to come every other day -- I figure better than feeding daily since they won't have a water change for 12 days. Ugh!

I want to ask them to change the water, but I'm certain he'll think I'm psycho!

Hopefully they'll hang in there...

Oh, Chrissy_Bee, I would love to know someone who would take care of fish properly while I'm away! It is a real problem, for sure - I have no idea how to find someone to care for my little ones! Maybe the ad isn't such a bad idea!

i know how u feel! Last time I came home to 1 dead fish, 2 dying bettas, and about 80% of my tanks were infested with flukes :(

I forgot when/where I heard this, but I remember reading an article in a magazine about people placing ad5 for places to stay while on vacation. You had to sign up but it was along the lines of, you can stay on someone's couch while out of town, or out of the country, but in return you open your house up and allow people to request to stay at yours when they are in need of a place to stay. We should get something going like that with goldfish sitting. A list of people with their local areas that would be willing to "fish sit" for free, and maybe have the favor returned at some point when they needed it!

Ohh, that's no good. I'm sorry that happened Chrissy-- is Elaine healing up alright?

I am also very nervous-- Thomas and I are going on vacation for about 3 weeks and I am sick with worry for the fish every time I start planning.

Ohh, that's no good. I'm sorry that happened Chrissy-- is Elaine healing up alright?

Yes :) She's such a spunky little fish, it takes more than a scrape to stop her, hehehe.

I was thinking, next time I go away I think I'll remove anything unecessary from the tank (airstones, decorations), that will take care of one worry. I could also pull my extra filters out of storage and hook them up just in case. They may not be cycled but they'd at least provide some extra mechanical filtration. And, I'll just have to leave some extremely detailed directions...

8am - turn on light

8:30am - feed

8:31am - watch them, see if everything's ok

:rofl

IMHO, leaving the light off for an extended period of time isn't such a horrible thing-- lights are for the humans to see the fish. :P Perhaps next time make the instructions simpler and even more explicit:

8AM Call me and do whatever I tell you.

I'm afraid I have no clue what I'm going to do when I leave town this summer, no one really cares for the fish like I do, well at least around here. I dunno if I can trust many a people with the wellfare of the fishy bubbas

I do have the same situation, going for a vacation for 3 weeks, I have 4 goldies, live in NJ edison area, any information about fish seatting is appriciated.

Well that's easy. I'll fish sit for you, and you let me stay at your house while you are gone so I am closer to the beach LOL. (but then who would watch MY goldies?) LOL For real though, one of my high school friends was from Edision. I was there every other weekend in high school. When I typed Edison in mapquest it says there are two. Middlesex county and Sussex. Out of curiousity which are you? I assumed Middlesex....