New Tank With Rescues

kenny

well, i was searching on craigslist for a new tank for my sons room and came across a small tank for sale with goldfish. i figured that it would be perfect cause its a small 20 gal that would work great for a planted trop tank that i have been wanting to do. i called ape and told her about it, had a white oranda (which she loves) and a couple fantails as well. then i emailed the seller. she called me back later that night and we talked it over. she told me that she had gotten the fish from a friend about a year ago and that they were around 2 yrs old. she was happy that they were going to a good home of goldfish lovers and she wanted to get rid of them for fear that she was going to kill them with not knowing how to care for them. she said that they were all about 4 inches in total lenth, so i figured that they were 1 1/2 to 2 inch fish and then she was adding the tail in the measurement. to my shock and horror, my thinking was wrong.......crammed in this little, fully neglected tank were three 4 inch fish, not including the tails. the water was a murky brown. the filter is a for a 10 gal and the media looked to have not been changed in months. i quickly started the process of getting them ready for transport as ape chit chatted with her. i could not believe the info that she was being given this whole time by friends and even a couple different pet stores. she even had other potential buyers telling her that one was a koi and other just wrong info. needless to say im glad that they came home with us and hope they are too. sorry for the long read, i could write more but, i just wanted to get it out.

heres the tank, ive got alot of cleaning to do

20gtank.jpg

this is the white lemon head oranda, missing scales and steaked tail

whtoran.jpg

this is the red fantail you can see the blood spots on the scales and the tails are streaked

redfan.jpg

and this is the red and white fantail that is 5 inches, not much damage, minor streaks in the tail

redwhtfan.jpg

this is them awaiting our family move in less than a month, were they will be going into one of the stock tank ponds i will be setting up

rescuegroup1.jpg

rescuegroup2.jpg

OMG, what beautiful fishies! And horrible tank!

Good job! Well done! :D

This is exactly what I was about to say. :blink: Those beauties must have been very strong to survive and still look gorgeous in that dirty thank.

Suddenly I'm having a flashback on how we came across our 8 goldies.

Aww,the white Oranda looks like my Sprite. They are all very pretty and will soon be gorgeous with your care. That tank was just nasty. Can't wait to see it all cleaned up. Kudos for taking these guys in like that. :thumbup:

A lot of folks would have taken one look at the yuckiness and said forget it.

Kathy

thanks for the cool replies. they seem to be doing pretty well. swimming and eating with vigor. there doesnt seem to be any problems so far, its been a week and a half now. cant wait for what the future holds.

OMG THE FAIRY OF LEMONHEADS HAS BEEN TOO GOOD TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!

What beautiful fish! It is so sad to see their poor care, but I am really glad they are with you now. Prazi, a bit of salt, and some Melafix should fix them up right (though, keep an eye on them as it is possible they are sicker than they appear).

Kudos on the rescue. (More pics please! And of your tamasabas!)

thanks joy, hopefully i can get some good pics of the tamasabas tonight for ya. and yeah, just like you, ape loves the white goldies, especially lemonheads. that is really the reason why we got these, it was her call

Bravo! :D I love to hear rescue stories, and they certainly needed it. Beautiful fish, and I'm sure with good care they will thrive!

Looking forward to more pictures!

They are gorgeous fish! She did the right thing in giving them up!! I can't wait to see them all fixed up and happy in a clean tank!! :r030: