I Am Going To Be Getting A 55 Gallon Again!

I have had the worst of luck keeping 55 gallon tanks. I always get them on 'permanent loan' it seems. People will say "oh i'm not using it so you can use it" then they'll decide they want it back and my babies are back in the 29. I have finally managed to come up with a plan and save up for a 55 gallon tank. I have the money to buy it right now but I'm going to hold off a little to make sure that I can pay my electric and cable. I'll probably wait until I am back in Washington before I buy it, but I can now! My own 55 gallon! Problem is I don't know how I'll want to decorate it, such a dilemma...

So, any recommendations as how to, or where to get plants (fake, I don't have patience for real ones), that you can put in a barebottom tank that don't need to be 'planted' in order to keep from floating?... I just came up with an idea. I don't know if it'll work though.

I was just thinking since you can buy the cord holders. If I cut a couple little holes in the air tube, then put the plant ends in there to hold them and use the tube holders to place the hose along the bottom, it will create numerous places for aeration as well as hold down the plants. Does anyone think that'll work?

you can get plants that are weighted, or that have ceramic bases. these don't have to be buried in a substrate, and look nice on their own! i use some designed for the biorb because they are self-righting too, so if your goldfies are a bit boisterous, then the plant will get itself the right way up again without you having to go messing about in the tank. good luck with finding something, although i think your idea works great too :)

good luck with the 55, i remember how excited i was when i was waiting to get mine, and i also wasn't quite sure how i wanted it to look either.

i don't know if the tube thing will work but if it does it sounds like a genius idea.

There are places where you can buy extra tubing and I'm thinkin gof buying a little extra to test the idea. The weighted plants, are they easy to find? I'll have more options to buy stuff when I'm back in Washington so I'll look around there. I'll try and post pictures. I'll be on dial-up on so it will be more difficult to upload and post pictures.

The difficult thing with your idea would be making the cut in the tubing just right or having to glue the plant in so that it didn't float up, but I think your idea is great! I like it because the tubing is bendable, which means you could make all sorts of twisting, turning paths of plants winding through your tank.

hmm...the biorb weighted plants i've only been able to find in the UK, but they have some on ebay that will post to the US. there must be equivalents to the other sort though...

http://www.easitillweb10.co.uk/waterzoorev...?ProductID=5888 these are the sort of things i was thinking... :)

Hm, how about making your own weighed plants, Monkeybat? All you need is a tube or two of aquarium sealant, river rocks in the color you like, and plants. Glue the rocks all around the base of the plants with the sealant, and set it someplace to dry.

One other option would be with gravel and some glue that is more liquid than the sealant, and fish safe. Use a styrofoam cup, put the plant in the center, surround the base with the gravel and pour the glue in it, let it dry. Then remove the styrofoam base, and you are all set.

That would be something I would try, and you can do your own special plants and gravel colors.

Hm, how about making your own weighed plants, Monkeybat? All you need is a tube or two of aquarium sealant, river rocks in the color you like, and plants. Glue the rocks all around the base of the plants with the sealant, and set it someplace to dry.

One other option would be with gravel and some glue that is more liquid than the sealant, and fish safe. Use a styrofoam cup, put the plant in the center, surround the base with the gravel and pour the glue in it, let it dry. Then remove the styrofoam base, and you are all set.

That would be something I would try, and you can do your own special plants and gravel colors.

That's what I've done with my plants. I think the grasses they sell are too heavy. I want my grass more sparse, so I bought some plastic grasses, thinned them out and then glued, with aquarium silicone, the grass I cut out onto rocks. Works great!

Another option with Ranchugirl's second suggestion is to make your own "rocks" with two-part resin you can get at craft or art stores. Just mix in some color into the resin, pour it into any kind of plastic container and when it dries, just pop it out and you're ready to go. You can mix the gravel right into the resin or line the container with it.

I like Andrea's idea of making your own. However, I use silk plants that come with weighted bottoms-- plastic plants IMO are too hazardous.

Congrats on the new tank! Hopefully the Tank Fairy will bring it your way soon!