Pre Formed Ponds

Guest Ajno

Guest Ranchu Addict

Hi

I am going tonight to look at a pre formed pond. I want to use it on my deck and rotate my goldies into it. The pond

is the pond is 17 inches at its deepest and 59 inches long. The widest part is 29 inches so I'm thinking maybe kidney shaped.

So here's the question. Is this going to be ok for a goldie or two? It is 105 degrees here today so I am concerned with the heat

and I want to do a greenwater pond with this, so no filter but there will be an airpump of some sort available. It will have morning shade and have the sun on it in the afternoon. Would a stock tank be better? I have been considering the stock tank over the pre formed pond. The pond is 30.00 and the stock tank is 75-80.00. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Guest Tyrese

I would get the stock tank(You didn't mention size), but I would get the preformed if I had a hole to dig and couple fish in there to outgrow during the summer

I think the main problem with using a pre-formed pond above ground is that they are not designed for it-- they are designed to rest on the soil, not be free-standing.

And I think this bears capital letters: ALL PONDS NEED FILTERS. I have PLENTY of filtration on my deck container pond and I still have green water. It's just too much of a risk to assume that the free-floating algae will take care of all your problems-- ESPECIALLY while cycling. Including the airpump is a good idea but honestly, with temps like those down in TriCities, you need all the aeration you can get.

stock tanks can even be set up with bottom drains to keep the bottom clean as well as being much more sturdy than a preform. Preforms are made for inground so unless you are going to build a walled in area, dump in some dirt and then put in preform (which can be pretty neat idea too) the stock tank would be the better way to go

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ranchu Addict

Thanks, I think I'll go with the stock tank. Very likely the 150 gallon one unless I can find one thats 200 gallons. As far as filtration I'll go with the DIY route. Do you think it will get too hot? The deck does provide sun on the area the tank will be in the afternoon/evening.

Thanks, I think I'll go with the stock tank. Very likely the 150 gallon one unless I can find one thats 200 gallons. As far as filtration I'll go with the DIY route. Do you think it will get too hot? The deck does provide sun on the area the tank will be in the afternoon/evening.

I think it's going to get too hot. I would rig up a cover for it that can be taken down on cool days.