Biologists: Who And What Kind?

Erinaceus

I noticed that a number of people here are biologists (or something in the same general area :rolleyes: ) or will be in the near future, and I was curious what everyone does research for, does has as a speciality or is planning to have as a speciality :hi Some already mentioned it in the 'What Do You Do For A Living?' topic, but usually only briefly. And I'm known for my curiosity :peeka:rofl

I did an undergrad degree in biology and did seabird research in Alaska (very cool!).

Now I'm doing my masters, it's mostly on the impacts of humans on stream systems...I do a lot of hydraulic and landscape connectivity type stuff. I use GIS...if anyone here knows what that is.

I'm hoping to get a job either continuing to do freshwater ecology, or as an instructor in one of the university labs :D (I finish my degree in a year)

I did an undergrad degree in biology and did seabird research in Alaska (very cool!).

Now I'm doing my masters, it's mostly on the impacts of humans on stream systems...I do a lot of hydraulic and landscape connectivity type stuff. I use GIS...if anyone here knows what that is.

I'm hoping to get a job either continuing to do freshwater ecology, or as an instructor in one of the university labs :D (I finish my degree in a year)

I've heard of GIS, but I've never used it, though I know a couple of people who also use it in their research (mainly habitat connectivity wrt a certain type of rodent in Ethiopia). What was the seabird research about? :)

I'm actually specializing in habitat connectivity...so yes, loads of GIS.

I worked with auklets and petrels mostly, also 'encountered' plenty of gulls.....they chased me down and tried to poop on me everyday :rolleyes:

I'm actually specializing in habitat connectivity...so yes, loads of GIS.

I worked with auklets and petrels mostly, also 'encountered' plenty of gulls.....they chased me down and tried to poop on me everyday :rolleyes:

I work with starlings, doing observation and making song recordings. Apart from that I also have to take blood samples. When you've got them turned chest up and are starting to take blood from the wing artery, that's usually when they poop, and believe me, they put a lot of force in it and have surprisingly good aim :blink: so I can totally relate :D

I work with starlings, doing observation and making song recordings. Apart from that I also have to take blood samples. When you've got them turned chest up and are starting to take blood from the wing artery, that's usually when they poop, and believe me, they put a lot of force in it and have surprisingly good aim so I can totally relate

hahaha, I'll bet! We would take 'gurge' samples from birds. We'd set up a mist net with a plastic sheet on the ground, when the birds flew home with their food load for their chicks, we'd catch them and collect the food. The idea was that the fright of hitting the net would scare them into spitting up the food right then and there. But certain birds would hold it until you went to release them from the net, my friend got absolutely sprayed once :rofl

I actually really like starlings :heart A lot of people think they're sort of a pest bird, but they sort of fascinate me!

hahaha, I'll bet! We would take 'gurge' samples from birds. We'd set up a mist net with a plastic sheet on the ground, when the birds flew home with their food load for their chicks, we'd catch them and collect the food. The idea was that the fright of hitting the net would scare them into spitting up the food right then and there. But certain birds would hold it until you went to release them from the net, my friend got absolutely sprayed once :rofl

I hope your friend was wearing plastic(-like) clothing :blink::)

I actually really like starlings :heart A lot of people think they're sort of a pest bird, but they sort of fascinate me!

Yeah, they're actually really fun birds to look at; they have a lot of personality ^_^