Do I Have A Protective Mother Or A Guard Of His Personal Food Supply?

Guest sharonb87

Guest sharonb87

I have a goldfish that I thought was obsessed with a plant pot. yesterday the pot blew over in the wind and I discovered there are eggs on it. This goldfish would chase other fish away from the pot, at feeding time it would come out and hurry back. If another fish gets near the pot it aggressively chases the other fish away. Im wondering should I leave the eggs in the pond to hatch or take them out to hatch in a tank? I have a 270 gallon tank with 12 goldfish in it and 17 plants.

Do you have anything other than goldfish in the tank? Like plecos or something? I don't have a great deal of experience with breeding goldfish, but the times that female goldfish have dropped eggs in my tank there have been thousands of them spread EVERYWHERE. They were not just in one spot. I think some other fish (including plecos) deposit eggs in a specific spot and then guard them.

Whoever laid the eggs, they (the eggs or the fry) won't survive long in a tank with goldfish. You might want to try to move them to another tank. They may or may not be fertile, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Guest Spanky_
I have a goldfish that I thought was obsessed with a plant pot. yesterday the pot blew over in the wind and I discovered there are eggs on it. This goldfish would chase other fish away from the pot, at feeding time it would come out and hurry back. If another fish gets near the pot it aggressively chases the other fish away. Im wondering should I leave the eggs in the pond to hatch or take them out to hatch in a tank? I have a 270 gallon tank with 12 goldfish in it and 17 plants.

Please can we see some pictures of your tank, 270 gal sounds awesome.

Thanks

Guest sharonb87

First I want to say sorry, I didn't mean to say tank, I meant to say pond. All my fish are supposed to be goldfish. I did remove the eggs and put another pot in the place of the one I moved. The fish has now become protective of that one too. The eggs are fertilized, healthy looking, and I can see black dots swimming around in them.

That's good you moved the eggs! Since goldfish are not protective of their eggs and see them as a sudden unexpected food fortune I imagine your goldfish was guarding her secret food supply :o Good luck with the hatch outs and keep us posted :D

That's good you moved the eggs! Since goldfish are not protective of their eggs and see them as a sudden unexpected food fortune I imagine your goldfish was guarding her secret food supply :o Good luck with the hatch outs and keep us posted :D

:rofl I would never put it passed a fat ol goldfish to start hiding food!!!