Cant Afford Cooler For My Tank! Heat Wave

Guest luster4

Guest luster4

My tank needs to be seriously cooled down! its a heat wave and my fancy fish are sitting in above tropical temps. I CAN'T AFFORD A COOLER!!! WHAT DO I DO??? would it be safe to get a bag of cold water and maybe put a couple of ice-cubes in the bag and float it in the tank? or maybe freeze some treated water and then put the ice-cubes in the filter or something? PLEASE HELP!!!

I think the fan is the safer/gentler way to go -- it will lower the temperature over a longer period of time and keep it at that level until you turn the fan off. You end up with yo-yoing temperatures if you use ice.

The frozen water bottles are great - I've used cooler chill packs as well.

Also, add a lot of extra aeration. Water holds a lot less oxygen as it warms up, so you'll want to keep an extra airstone or two running.

u can get a cooler for the tank? when can i buy one?

I think Luster meant a chiller. You can get those at most better fish stores. Also, any fish place online like Drs. Foster and Smith, ThatPetPlace, Aquarium Guys, etc. Keep in mind though, that chillers are very expensive and big.

Drs. Foster and Smith Chillers

ThatPetPlace Chillers

Aquarium Guys Chillers

Fish Tank Direct

Guest luster4

in england we call them coolers, but yeah =p

i think i'll try to put more air into the water and then just try a few different things, and see which works best for my tanks...

thanks for all your help! :heart:D

• 1 month later...
Guest chevyguy2500hd

i have heard of some people making there own. you need a garden hose a sump pump and a small refrigerator. you drill two holes in the side of the fridge just big enough for the hose to fit through then you coil the hose inside the fridge. put both ends in the tank attach the pump to the hose and away you go. if i was going to make one i would put the hose on a canister filter instead of a pump and put a reptile tank thermostat on it so you can regulate the temp.