Dropsy And Sight

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

I was wondering, and I don't know if it's been researched or looked into by anyone here but does a fish with severe pop eye or Dropsy lose it's eye sight? Like, all the swelling in the eyes causes the the retinal vessels to stretch so much they break and cause blindness?

Just curious.

For the few fish that I have returned from the state of popeye - (i hvae never treated a fish for dropsy) - they did not seem to lose eye sight.

It would seem to be a good theory, however. IT would be difficult to test the theory without a decropsy or the like for simply observation would not seem to be accurate. A fish that is in the throes of deep dropsy or popeye is sooooooo under the weather that you could fly a shimp or a pirahna past it's nose and it would not react.

it is possible. technically dropsy or the conditons that make dropsy, is a build up fluid in the tissues of the fish due to a break down of the vital organs such as the kidneys etc. If the fluid remains in they eye wall then it will certainly hinder vision. However your fish relys on other senses such as smell that should not be affected by dropsy. were you able to cure it. I have found this great food that works on this conditon if treated early.