Fish Addict!

vickielm

Geez. I already have a 30 gallon goldfish tank and a 10 gallon tropical tank that I've just restocked. I have a pink betta in with the trops and he does just fine.

So we've been on here talking about white bettas, black bettas, and all of a sudden I remembered a hexagon shaped 3 gallon tank I had put up in a closet. Thoughts of getting another betta bedeviled me. I said NO. I have enough fish. I have enough water changes. I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER FISH!!

So today, I was just out messing around and somehow ended up in the only lfs here in town. JUST LOOKING, OK???!!! It was like I was sleepwalking and I woke up in the betta section. OK, I thought, I'll only get one if I see a solid white or solid black. They didn't have either, but oh my the beautiful colors they did have!

The next thing I knew I was at the register with a black and red betta. :whatjust:

He came home with me and I named him Ali. As in Mohommed Ali. Now I am scrubbing out the 3 gallon tank and trying to find somewhere in my bedroom to put him, since the other 2 tanks take up so much of the living room.

I know I need help. I know I am addicted. I know I need to stop. The problem is I DON'T WANT TO!!

Maybe some of us could form a support group and call each other when we get the urge to go into a lfs. FKA-FishKeepers Anonymous?

somewhere on this forum there is a Golfish Anonymous thread.......

Oh, and why do you only need a ten step program? Is that how many steps it takes to get to the nearest fish store? :lol1:r030:

I'm going to try and get this pic of Ali posted. I took it with my camera phone and it is a pain in the :booty to get them from the site to somewhere else.post-14029-1214699591_thumb.jpg

The picture doesn't do him justice as he is a real beauty!! When I put him in the tank, he stopped for a minute...then just swam and swam and swam like he couldn't believe that he had so much room! Hard telling how long he had been in that little cup.

It was really moving to watch. Just like he was really happy and just couldn't believe it.

I know. I'm a nut. But it really was wonderful to watch him.

Edited by vickielm

Guest BettaBlues

Cute fishie! I got out of fish keeping, and got back in now, with three empty tanks! A 5, 10 and 30 gallon. I am going to kill myself!

He's the greatest! :)

Thanks! I ended up having to put him on a table in the bedroom. I can see it from the hallway, and he is such a bright red that you can see him like a beacon! I will have to get him a small filter today, but I think the heater can wait until fall.

And BettaBlues, I thank heaven that my 3 tanks are stocked as much as allowed. If I had to start out with 3 empty tanks, I'd have to quit my job to fish shop, lol!! The main issue I have right now is that my 2 goldfish, Moby and Florence, have really outgrown their 30 gallon. They are ok for awhile, but sometime before the end of the year they really are going to need a 55 gallon. THEN I will have a 30 gallon empty...OMG I am going to have to move into a bigger place just for the fish!! :exactly

Edited by vickielm

Hey, Ali is gorgeous--wish I could see a closeup of him! :) Red and black sounds interesting. I love that look of wonder bettas get when a whole new and bigger world is opened up to them--makes you feel good inside. :goodjob

I know exactly what you mean about this being an addiction--that's why most of us are overstocked all the time!!

I just had your same problem a couple weeks ago when I got a new betta girl. I had already decided not to get anymore bettas for awhile after losing too many when I kept them in bowls. I was down to one female that I finally put in a tropical community tank where she has been thriving. Then, on a recent trip to a lfs I was "just looking" at bettas like I normally do and one little girl tried to attack my hand--it was love at first sight!!! I had to have her and so far she is doing great in a 5 gal all to herself.

Yeah, I don't want to control this addiction either--it's too much fun. :exactly