Sign in to follow this  
l_lds2006

Want To Set Up Half Barrel Pond

hiya~

I have a question as I have been thinking it over and decided to that I would like to set up a half barrel indoor pond how do I go about setting one up

I have seen at lowes that they have the 19 inch whiskey half barrels I am wondering what is the total gallons for that

Swimmingbettas, I would guess that those roughly hold about 30 gl, more or less. I have two of those barrels sitting around with the same height, and I remember caulculating that to somewhere around 30 gl.

The barrels at Lowes, do they come with a plastic liner already? If not, you would need a liner for it. Other than that - hanging a filter on it, fillling the barrel up with water, and off you go. Where in the house do you want to set it up? Depending on where you have planned, I would think about where the next best faucet would be for water changes, and putting something underneath the barrel in case of water spillage - to protect any carpet. :)

You can take the measurements of the barrel to more precisely calculate the gallonage. There are plenty of online websites that will do the calculations for you, like this one.

http://grapevine.abe.msstate.edu/~fto/tools/vol/barrel.html (since it's a 1/2 barrel, you'd have to divide by 2.)

if i remember right, i think they are 30g barrels. if you get the ones from lowes, they are not prelined so you will have to add that. there is preform that is made to fit in, but its only 20g, go figure. best bet would be to by pond liner and put that in. there are some pics in the thread for pond pics that have it done like that. good luck and post pics when its up

I have experiance of setting up an outside half barrel pond but not an inside one. Good luck with the project! :goodluck

Make sure you get a good liner. :)

Guest RussianBoy11

mine held 35 gallons i got the barrel at lowes and i got a pond package with a hard plastic preformed liner to put into the barrel and it came with a little pump, i think im gonna go set that up now, i didnt do it for this year but now you got me wanting to!