Baby Shubunkins

PHYLAL

I have Gold Comets, Sarasa Comets and Shubunkins in my pond. I now have numerous baby fish varing in size from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches. While most of the babies are still an olive-brown, several look as if they could be Shubunkins. They are far from the largest of the babies but are already showing light and black areas (I have not seen them well). My question, do Shubunkins show their colors that much earlier than other colored goldfish?

Edited by PHYLAL

Strangely enough, yes - from the numerous fry I had, the calico colors were often the ones showing up first. A lot of fry could be a matte whitish color, and a lot of them never get much of a color at all.

Strangely enough, yes - from the numerous fry I had, the calico colors were often the ones showing up first. A lot of fry could be a matte whitish color, and a lot of them never get much of a color at all.

Thank you for the response. I have seen three fry that appear to be calico. The largest fry (now about 2 inches) are still dark, although a few are showing white tips on the caudal fin. I know that they may stay dark, or native. Hears hoping that they start to show some color.