My Leeches

Kissy

I knnoooowwww you guys have just been DYING to see pictures of my leeches haha.

n705485024_971259_8617.jpg

Adult Erpobdella punctata

n705485024_971256_9663.jpg

Here are some of the containers with juvenile Ep leeches. I mainly take care of these guys.

n705485024_926547_1910.jpg

One of the juvenile Erpobdellas, Ep8

n705485024_971254_8752.jpg

Ep512, one of the breeder adults

n705485024_971253_8233.jpg

The main breeding tanks for the Erpobdellas

n705485024_971257_136.jpg

A dish of juvenile (almost adult) Helobdella stagnalis. These are the ones that exhibit parental care toward their young. They are kind of a pain to take care of because they are so small and "sticky".

n705485024_971258_8120.jpg

Petri dishes full of H.s, genereations p, 1, and 2 as of right now. They breed like crazy.

n705485024_971255_9179.jpg

Ep512 and I <3

And here are some photos of Montezuma's Well, the main area we do field research.

n705485024_753225_4353.jpg

The Well. The Indian ruins are right below the cliff I'm standing on.

n705485024_753219_4903.jpg

Packing up

n705485024_753217_2884.jpg

Becky looking for leeches

n705485024_753216_1810.jpg

Me in waders

Oooh, the well is so pretty! That sounds like a fun summer job.

How are leeches 'sticky'? They ones I've felt have all been slickery...

Both species pictured above eat bloodworms and will not suck blood. We do have some blood-suckers in the lab but they are just for fun. We feed those guys chicken and beef liver. I say "sticky" because they have suction cups on both ends and its a weird feeling when they suction on to you.

I've been working with them since march. I'm going home for a month and a half and it will be weird to not take care of them all the time. I'm starting my own project in the fall but I will probably still help Becky with her leeches anyway.

Wow!! What a great job you have. I LOVE being among a crowd where it isn't unusual to post pictures of your leeches! :) They are fascinating. I have never touched one before. How big do the adults get? Were the adults pictured full grown?

What sort of research do you use them for?

Wow, thats really cool! I didn't even know there were leeches that didn't suck blood :unsure: ....guess I ought to learn more about them huh lol

The black one is full grown, and the the stagnalis usually get around 1/2" or so. In the tropics, some species get as big as your fore arm...AND suck blood ;) None of the species native to Arizona suck blood.

Haha I made that photo and Ep512 and I my facebook profile picture.

Guest Halloween

I got a leech stuck to my foot once after walking in shallow water in a river and I dropped to the ground screaming "get it off get it off" I drew a crowd.

Thats so cool! Looks like an awesome job :)

After a bit of rain I had a leech sucking my leg off when I was 12 (in grade 7 - primary school), it was in the middle of a reading session and I was sitting on the floor in the middle of the class, I managed to get it off and let it squirm/crawl/roll/whatever they do to the person sitting close, they totally freaked out when they couldn't get it off hehehehe. At least I knew it couldn't hurt me, it even gave me a love bite on my ankle :P

Very cool pics!! I laughed out loud of the one of you in waders because I have to wear them for my work too, and last month I got interviewed for a local paper. I made a comment to my supervisor about "I hope they don't print of pic of me in these stupid waders" and of course....they did :P

You lucky girl, is this your job or are you studying? Fascinating stuff I'm sure but leeches are one of those things that freak me out, I mean freak with a capital F, I go crazy if one gets on me and jump around and scream like an idiot until someone gets it off. lol