Bottom Sitter

Guest nizon8

Guest nizon8

I have a small black ranchu that is sitting at the bottom all the time. When I feed him freeze dried bloodworm which floats on top, he will try to swim upward to eat them. He seems like struggling as he is swimming vertically and flipping his pectoral fin faster to stay afloat. Afterward, he will fall back with his belly hitting the bottom and bounce. I have already quarantine him for almost 2 weeks with medication to kill ick and fed him Medigold but it doesn't help. What seems to be the problem? Please advise. Thanks.

Has the fish always been sinky like this, or is this a problem that has developed over the 2 weeks that you've had the fish? Where did you get the fish? How big is the fish? Have you treated with Prazi for flukes?

Large, round-bodied fish like ranchus are subject to swim bladder problems. It may be that your fish has a swim bladder full of water instead of air. If that is the case then there is no fix. You will need to keep the fish in a barebottom tank (so that it doesn't develop sores on its belly from gravel), feed it sinking foods, and keep it with tank mates that won't pick on it.