Got 7 Mystery Snails With Plants

Guest luster4

Guest luster4

4 weeks ago I got my first live plant, and it had a snail on it which we called Gary; but the problem was that Gary was so small my fish would try to eat him, and then my fish would choke and have trouble spitting him back out, and then they'd eat him again and it was just never-ending...so we had to take him out of the tank, I couldn't bear the thought of him being flushed or something, so I put him in a tank of his own so he could grow. A week later i got some more plants and found 7 more snails, one of which was so small I actually lost him...these snails were even smaller than Gary was, so I put the 6 remaining snails in with Gary and decided to name them all Gary =p a few days later I found snail eggs stuck to the leaves of the plant in my Gary-tank, I thought it was best to move them to a another small tank on their own; the next day I fell down the stairs with a glass in my hand and badly cut myself, and had to spend a week in hospital waiting for an operation to reattach my nerves and tendons and to have a lot of muscle reconstruction, and now I can't use my hand for 3 months; but anyway, when I eventually got home I found that the eggs had hatched, and now I'm overrun with snails; I can't bear the thought of flushing the poor things like my boyfriend keeps trying to get me to do, so now I don't know what to do with them all...I want them to stop multiplying as I already have too many snails for my tanks but its impossible to keep all of them and even more impossible to keep them all seperate... Advice please?

So sorry to hear about your hand!!!

Many of us have had snails like those come along with plants. They're not actually mystery snails (another name for apple snails). I believe their ramshorn snails. The good news..they won't really hurt your tank or fish, the bad news, the multiply like bunnies! When my trop tank had a ban infestation I had to flush some :(

I'd vacum the gravel as usual and anyone who got sucked up went, I had no choice. You can throw them back in, but their numbers get really high their population will control itself by starvation anyway.

Try searching this site for info on pest snails for more info.

PS...my old snail was named Gary as well...good old Sponge Bob :P

I'm sorry to hear about your hand. I hope you heal fast

I've had a snail infestation as wel, and as they were normal pond snails (exact the same type you get in ponds in my area), the ones I got out off the tank I dumped close to very moinst pastures with a lot off ditches. Some were flushed accidently when I cleaned the tank. So I've given the snails a chance without being afraid that one of my goldies would choke on a snail, as they just love escargots. :blink:

btw: The pink colour is very hard to read, I have to copy your post and change the colours to manage it :idont

Edited by Quasi

Guest luster4

I'm very pro-life and I cant bear to kill them or boiling their eggs...I need a solution where they all live...please help before I run out of room...at this rate I'll have to buy a second house or something lol =p

Edited by luster4

Guest Spanky_
when I eventually got home I found that the eggs had hatched, and now I'm overrun with snails... Advice please?

get one of these...

37051787_c88eade6a6.jpg

Problem solved.

OOOH, A Puffer. Cutest little guys. I looked at getting some but I read they get big and you cannot put anything else with them. I know the LFS uses a large goldies to control their snail infestation. Great source of protien. :goodluck with your snails.

Those are physid snails, members of the family Physidae. They will continue to grow and reproduce in your tank so unless you keep them in check you will have to constantly keep getting more tanks! If you feed them less they should multiply less but they are prolific breeders.

I happen to love them and have had some grow very large (close to a half inch) in my tanks. One thing I find fascinating about them is that they are a normally sinistral snail species (shells have opening on the left and coil clockwise rather than the common dextral shells with openings on the right), but you can find both sinistral and dextral specimens in the same area!

At this point, since you would like to keep them, just set up a separate 10 gallon plant tank. Another snail species you will find on plants are planorbids or ramshorn snails. They too get big and come in interesting colors. I have red ones in my newt tank right now.

As for the puffer, that is a dwarf puffer, Carinotetraodon travancoricus, who doesn't get larger than an inch. They are the only true freshwater dwarf species.

PS I am so sorry you hurt your hand so badly! I hope it heals quickly.

So sorry to hear about your hand, and your snail woes. I understand your want to keep them all, but sadly you cannot. Like it has been stated before, they will continue to multiply until they overcrowed your tank and begin to die off because of inadequate food and poor health. I used to keep true mystery snails, and they were a lot of fun. I even had a little 'pest' snail that I kept around for a while, I just had to check the tank four or five times a day to remove the eggs.

I wouldn't turn then loose in the wild, that is illegal. The wildlife resources agency in your area most likely prohibits turning any non-native species loose because they can multiply like crazy and run the native species out. That is why some apple snails are illegal in some states.

I agree, pllleeeeeeeease don't turn them lose in the wild (coming from a biologist). I'd go with a seperate planted tank, as suggested.

I happen to love them and have had some grow very large (close to a half inch) in my tanks.
Me too! I had the weirdest thing happen in my tank. I had a total infestation, but it suddenly dropped to just a few snails. Now all I really see in there is this one big (about 1/2 inch) guy..it's like he's the king snail or something :P

I agree, pllleeeeeeeease don't turn them lose in the wild (coming from a biologist). I'd go with a seperate planted tank, as suggested.

As a fellow biologist, I second that: it could be argued that invasive foreign species have done more harm to the world ecosystems than basic human development (deforestation and such).

I happen to love them and have had some grow very large (close to a half inch) in my tanks.
Me too! I had the weirdest thing happen in my tank. I had a total infestation, but it suddenly dropped to just a few snails. Now all I really see in there is this one big (about 1/2 inch) guy..it's like he's the king snail or something :P

The population crash could very possibly be the result of the amount of food not being able to cope with the exponential growth of the snail population. Just curious, but what did you feed them?

The population crash could very possibly be the result of the amount of food not being able to cope with the exponential growth of the snail population. Just curious, but what did you feed them?

Nothing, they ate the left overs from the fish food, the algae and probably the plants in the tank. The only thing that may have changed was I introduced 2 more cories. I agree with your theory, that it was a population crash. I was left with my one little monster snail who now gets allllll the food :)

Could the cories have eaten some/most of the snails? I don't know anything about cories, but I would assume since they are a type of catfish (they are, aren't they?) they would be carnivores.

Edited by Lady_D
spelling

Could the cories have eaten some/most of the snails? I don't know anything about cories, but I would assume since they are a type of catfish (they are, aren't they?) they would be carnivores.

If it's possible that they eat snails, then I would still doubt that that would be responsible for the population crash, as the snails be killed of early on when there's few of them, or the snail population would soon get past the point where the cories would be able to make much of a dent in the population size :D (but I think I'm getting a bit of topic here :P )