Buried 9 Fishy Friends Today

That's right--nine of them were still in my freezer where I preserved their little bodies until I could get around to a decent burial. One had been in there for about a year--my favorite goldy KC. It was tough to see him again after all this time and it brought back soooo many memories! But it was good to see him--he didn't look too bad considering. (I put them all in baggies with water so they didn't get freezer burned.) Anyway, they were all pretty much my favorite, special fishies that I saved like that so it was kind of an emotional event. You know, looking into their eyes one last time, admiring their unique beauty and telling them they were loved. I buried them in a mass grave right under my bedroom window where I have a bunch of semi wild pansies growing all over. I had 2 other fish already buried in that area so it's turning into a fish graveyard now.

Here's some of the fishes in memorium--

memkc.jpg

My beloved KC

nessie.jpg

Sweet doubletailed Nessie

monster.jpg

Beautiful Monster

squirrel.jpg

First betta girl Squirrel

ice.jpg

The Iceman

ski.jpg

Stunning Skittles

doc2.jpg

Doc one of my first cories

HPIM4681.jpg

Pansies under my window

Will I ever do this sort of thing again?? Yes--I already have one little fish in my boyfriend's freezer. It's Okie, another gf I had for a year but who stayed quite small. It's so hard to part with them. :(

Aww that's really sweet. I'm going to have to do something similar. This last 6 months I lost so many goldies due to my inexperience and once it got cold I couldn't go out and bury them. Nobody can believe I didn't flush them, but I just couldn't. I have about 7 tiny goldfish and 2 betta's in my freezer waiting for the same thing. (And now the Glass Cat) One of the goldfish was one of my original three that I had for 2 years, and two are my favorites. I need to bury them soon, but it's sad. That's a really nice spot to have buried them. : ) I got teary eyed.

You've picked a really nice place for them :painting:

So far all off my fish are thriving (knocks on wood), but if one would die I would also burry them in a lovely place in the yard. We buried are old dog (she was 13) under a magnificent Hydrangea bush. That way they are never really gone :heart

sorry about ur little fishie friends, but u picked a nice place to bury them :) . I did the same thing awhile ago, buried all the fish I had in my freezer in my fishie graveyard :( , now i've got 2 more in the freezer, that would b Shiloh and Floppy :( .

Edited by Shamu23

Thanks SO much to all of you--it's good to know I'm not the only one with pet fish in the freezer!! We understand each other perfectly. And it is nice to have them close by where I can keep a watch on them. :)

Okaaaayyy.... I'm gonna have to confess here too. I have a five big single tails, a common, three comets and a shubunkin, frozen in my freezer... still. They were definitely too big to flush and I just COULD NOT chuck 'em in the garbage! You should've seen me have to explain what all the tupperware containers filled with frozen water and fish were doing in my freezer when my parents came to visit... I don't want to bury them because I live in an apartment and if I move, they won't be with me anymore. My thinking, which has never happened, is that I'm going to get a large bag of potting soil and mix them in there to do their ashes-to-ashes, dust-to-dust thing and turn into excellent plant food. That way, I'll see their little lives go on to do good things. I really must get around to doing that....

Edited by lynda441

Oh no, Kristen, you're not the only one to do that. I had my little platy, Pixie, in the freezer until spring when I could bury him in the garden. I wouldn't throw my cat's body in the trash if he passed away, and I wouldn't my fish,either.

My schnauzer, Sassy, passed 3 years ago when she was 14 years old. I still have her ashes in a little container next to her picture in my bedroom.

Guest Halloween

Just wondering, do you call all female bettas "betta girls"? Only reason I ask is becuase that's what I always called female bettas. :)

It's terrible to lose so many. :(

Thanks again to all of you--it really helps to know this is a common practice because we love our fishies so much. :5:

I always call my females bettas--betta girls. Sounds more affectionate than just saying "my female". I love the girls as much as the boys even if they're not as flashy. They just have so much attitude!

• 3 months later...