Question About Epsom Salt

Shamu23

I wanted to use epsom salt for my new fish cuz i think i noticed 1 or 2 scales sticking out the slightest bit and didnt wanna take any chances. So I got some from the pharmacy in a Sobeys store. The pharmacist(I spelled that wrong didnt I?) said that the one in the smaller container would b safer to use on fish because it has less impurities. I cannot find any info about it on the web so I'll post everything it says on the bottle.

It is from this company:

www.compliments.ca

Ok so this is what it says on the package (except Im going to exclude the french writing on it lol)

Compliments

Epsom Salt

Magnesium Sulfate

Heptahydrate

(and then it says USP under the 2 in the french section, idk wat thats supposed to mean)

Laxative/ Purgative for oral use only

For relief of occasional constipation

is this stuff safe to use?

btw, im also treating with maracyn 2 and jungle antibacterial food, cuz I dont wanna take any chances, i've lost too many fish to dropsy already and I'd rather prevent it right now :)

also, if it is safe to use, wat r the directions for adding it to the tank?

Edited by Shamu23

Well epsom should not be the main cure. If a fish has dropsy,people use epsom in conjunction with other meds to reduce the bloating, but it shouldn't be the only thing you are using. Where is the scale stickin out? Can you post pics? Any other unusual activity? Also epsom is not a stress reducer like aquarium salt and not every fish takes a liking to it.

As I already said, Im also treating with antibacterial food and maracyn 2. The scales wont show up in pics, but they are on his side, they already seem slightly better. Other than that he is acting perfectly normal, he is the sweetest little thing and always swimming around actively, he's also got a great appetite :)

As I already said, Im also treating with antibacterial food and maracyn 2. The scales wont show up in pics, but they are on his side, they already seem slightly better. Other than that he is acting perfectly normal, he is the sweetest little thing and always swimming around actively, he's also got a great appetite :)

Great! :D

I wouldn't use epsom unless a fish is really bloated.

ok, thanks for the advice :) , but if I do need to use it eventually, do u think this one is safe? Cuz i've never used epsom salt before and i dunno if there r certain kinds that r better

ok, thanks for the advice :) , but if I do need to use it eventually, do u think this one is safe? Cuz i've never used epsom salt before and i dunno if there r certain kinds that r better

I think epsom salts are epsom salts.

This one looks like a regular box of epsom salt. Do you have any reason to suspect otherwise? :unsure:

Unless you are concerned about the Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate.... If so, that is the scientific name for epsom salt. :D

I'm so glad your gf seems to be getting better. Fingers crossed. I HATE the "D" word....

• Admin

I hate that word too, why I spent so much time trying to figure out how to keep them from dieing from this nasty thing....GRR

Keep up the good work, let us know how his doing and if you can get some photos makes it much easier, even a far shot I can look at and tell for you :(

ok thanks guys :D

He's still acting great, my brother and his friend are so careless though! They were playing soccer with a basket ball inside and they kept hitting my fishtanks and his qt tub and they didnt even care! Poor baby, but it didnt even scare him lol, he just seemed happy when they came close to pick up the ball lol, at least they went outside now lol. His scales seem same as yesterday so I guess that is good, it is very hard to tell wether they are actually sticking out or not and he never holds still and he also doesnt like being picked up lol. I've been feeding him several times a day to make sure the medicated food works cuz its never helped me save any fish in the past but it does seem to b helping. I have pics but im not gonna upload them until our highspeed comes back on, dial up is sssooooo slow with uploading stuff :glare: