Parasites & Airbubble Poop

Kasper

Ammonia Level = Unknown

Nitrite Level = Unknown

Nitrate level = Unknown

Ph Level = Unknown

Ph Level = Unknown

I used my drop test kit last week before I changed the water and finaly ran out of everything. The params were normal then (I did not write down the numbers to reference here, I should have :( Why couldn't they have waited till AFTER I get paid.

Brand of test-kit used? Drops

Tank size = 40 gallons 1.5 - 2 years

What is the name and size of the filter/s? 2 Whisperbrand filters one is a 60 (does 600gph) the other is unknown (got at a yardsale and no Identity on it but its the same size as the 60 so probably the same if not higher)

How often do you change the water and how much? Usually once a week at 25% and once at the end of the month about 50%

How many fish in the tank and their size? = 4, three over 3 inches and one thats barely an inch

What kind of water additives or conditioners? API tap water conditioner.

Any medications added to the tank? None

Add any new fish to the tank? 1 baby fish that is a fry of my current fish, he was in a 20gallon by himself with no problems.

What do you feed your fish? Tetra Color sinking, frozen brine shrimp & bloodworms and peas

Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fins are starting to fray due to flashing, no bloody and there are scales missing.

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? They are flashing their fins and rubbing up against the ornaments. The poop of the moor is stringy but the others is fine for now. The moor is bottom sitting but he has done that since I had him in the 1gallon over 4 years ago, I think thats just irreversable.

I'm almost positive its parasites and a bit of swimbladder. I'm going to salt the tank tonight but I was wondering what kind of medication would be best to mix with the salt. I read that Medications containing Formalyn are good for parasites but can that be mixed with salt? It was vague on that. Plus I'm not sure what form of Parasite it is. There are no mucus patches, no extra film, no yellow patches or anything. Just missing scales, frayed fins and flashing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Kaspar. The first thing I would check here is pH. You need that kit at least. Even a well cycled tank can get sudden pH crashes and swings. Did you ever check your tap for kH to give you a base line for pH hold? Although that can change over time too.

Have you ever treated for flukes?