How Much?

MACBOOK96

Emphasis on "Minimum." I have two 3" fancies, a white ryukin and a blue oranda, in a 60 gallon tank; they've been in there for one year now, and I'm a little fearful of introducing two more 2" fancies. I have one so far, a lionhead, still in the quarantine tank, and am hoping to snag a chocolate pom pom oranda. I'm doing it, but, at 4 fancies, that's ALL that I'll put in my 60 gallon. Don't forget to read up on the nitrogen cycle and cycle the tank first, get your drop test kits for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph and read everything you can on here. I've seen your name asking several questions and that's great! Shows you want to learn! Good luck and we're here for ya!

thanks I'm glad I found this site i don't plan to get a lionhead soon but i think there a nice fish to consider. one reason i love this site is that u can get very knowledgeable people and only have to get a account!

God bless you for asking the question BEFORE you get the fish, not after! You're right! Kokos is a virtual dictionary and encyclopedia of goldfish information. Hang out here and you'll learn a lot!

and the good thing is that whenever you post something it doesn't take like 48 hours to be on the board! and you always can be sure that you will be replyed to!

I think another way to think of it is.... you cannot put one fish in a 10 gallon tank, but you can, potentially put 2 in a 20..... and 3 in a 30......

The ten is really just too small for one full grown fish to reasonably turn around in. The 10 gallon rule of thumb is for simplification of keeping. It is minimum per fish that makes it the easiest to keep the water in reasonable parameters.

OK guys i just got back from my local pet store (where I'm buying my fish tank) and I saw a 60 gallon tank and i saw 3 nice fancy goldfish and I was thinking about getting them. what do you guys think? P.S. I will not buy any tank or the fish till u guys post back!

I know you're new on here, but how new are you to goldfish keeping? If I'm remembering all my facts with your posts, you already have fish, a comet at least and I think a fantail?, and are already trying to get all of that set up. What do you have now? Size of tank and quantity and types of gf? Bottom line, get your new 60 gallon. And remember, the filter needs to move 10 times the water as the size of the tank, which means, for a 60 gallon, you need a filter or combination of filters that run at a total of at least 600 gph. A 60 gallon tank is a great investment, but get everything else you already have up and running smoothly, get your 60 gallon tank cycled and THEN you can think about getting more fish, if you have room. Once we know what size tank and kinds of fish you already have and how you intend on combining them in the 60 gallon, we can better advise you. Also, if you have more room for fish in your 60 gallon, you're still going to need a cycled quarantine tank for any new fish you get, so getting the tank you already have cycled and running well is also important.

Edited by lynda441

your choice in tank size is good but like the other poster said you must first cycle your tank. You can do that by several ways however just make sure your ammonia, nitrites are zero and your ph is around 7 before you put any fish in the tank. Even then, start with one fish wait a couple of weeks, monitor your water, before adding others. You should also get yourself a quarantine tank for the new fish, do not place new fish into your already established tank. Ask a lot of questions before getting your fish