Been Naughty, Need Help Asap

scaring

I just got back from nnnnnn. Ever hear the saying, "in for a pinch, leave with a pound?" LOL I bought a 29 Gallon show for Fishy! Yeahhh. That's the good news. The bad news is that I want to go right back and get this poor Albino Goldie. I talked to the young lady that takes care of the fish and this is the info I have.

Albino has been there for a few weeks and was doing good until yesterday. Yesterday all the new goldfish arrived and they are dying left and right. All the tanks are fed through a main pumping system so whatever is in one tank is in another.

The poor dear is in a tank with fantails with dropsy. In the next tank, one bubble eye black was dead and another gasping it's last breathe. A third is swimming on it's side. :ignore I'm going to stop now. Let's just say this fish has been exposed to everything. It has 4 black spots on the top of it's head that the young lady said was not there yesterday. It's in salt and quick cure while I type this. I want to go back and get it now that I have a 29 gallon, but IS IT WORTH IT? Can I help this fish or is it a goner? If I put Fishy in the 29, I would have the 12 to QT the new one. I'm hoping the 29 will help Fishy lose that territorial streak he has.

Please respond ASAP so I can go quickly if you guys think there is hope, and TELL ME what to do. Prazi is being ordered today. I have jungle anti parasite and bacteria med food. I have quick cure and salt.

PS. How do I tell if it's a girl? Another male fine, but no females. LOL I wouldn't be able to keep up with tank cleaning.

Honestly, I don't know if I'd do it. If the fish isn't too expensive, then maybe. You're obviously willing to get the meds it needs and try :)

But if your fish is already territorial, I'd be a bit concerned that after QT the new fish would be harassed. If you'd be ok with keeping it seperate in the 12 gallon though, I guess that could be ok as well.

Hi Roni -- You have such a good heart to want to help this fish. Whether you do it or not is entirely up to you. Some things to consider, however:

• You have just gotten things smoothed out with Fishy. He is going to move into his roomy new home and now you two can enjoy one another without constantly having to worry. If you were to get the rescued fish, you would obviously keep it in Fishy's old tank. You would have to be ABSOLUTELY METICULOUS about not letting even a drop of water from the rescue fishes' tank get in with Fishy. Maintaining this degree of isolation is hard -- it means completely separate equipment for both tanks (siphons, buckets, towels, etc.), as well as carefully washing your hands between one fish and the other, etc.
  • Even the most experienced fish keepers have a rough time saving rescue fishes in this sort of condition. Although you have learned tons over the past couple of weeks, you are still a novice. This would be another baptism by fire experience, and you just got through one of those.
  • Saving this fish could be an expensive proposition -- you may end up needing medications that you don't already have, as well as all of the above mentioned separate equipment. I know that you and your husband are saving for that house, and the expense associated with another sick fish might cause some stress for both of you.

Bottom line, I would recommend against it. But you have to do what your heart is telling you. Keep us posted.

Hi Roni -- You have such a good heart to want to help this fish. Whether you do it or not is entirely up to you. Some things to consider, however:
  • You have just gotten things smoothed out with Fishy. He is going to move into his roomy new home and now you two can enjoy one another without constantly having to worry. If you were to get the rescued fish, you would obviously keep it in Fishy's old tank. You would have to be ABSOLUTELY METICULOUS about not letting even a drop of water from the rescue fishes' tank get in with Fishy. Maintaining this degree of isolation is hard -- it means completely separate equipment for both tanks (siphons, buckets, towels, etc.), as well as carefully washing your hands between one fish and the other, etc.
  • Even the most experienced fish keepers have a rough time saving rescue fishes in this sort of condition. Although you have learned tons over the past couple of weeks, you are still a novice. This would be another baptism by fire experience, and you just got through one of those.
  • Saving this fish could be an expensive proposition -- you may end up needing medications that you don't already have, as well as all of the above mentioned separate equipment. I know that you and your husband are saving for that house, and the expense associated with another sick fish might cause some stress for both of you.

Bottom line, I would recommend against it. But you have to do what your heart is telling you. Keep us posted.

Your right. My hubby knows I spent some money, and even how much. He doesn't know what I bought tho. I can hear him now.... :wa But I knew I would when I bought the set up. I found the 29, complete (though I don't need the heater) for $75 brand new. It was being discontinued. I think Fishy will be enough right now. With only Fishy in the 29, the 160 gpm filter should be fine. At least until he gains a few more inches. By then, hopefully, I will have the money to pick up a whisper backhang filter and add that on.

I'll save the 12 for a QT tank in case he gets sick again. Loads better than a 1 gallon QT.

Thanx Crissy, Thanx Kristen. :hug ::feeling sad but knowing Kristen is 100% right. :( ::

Hey Roni! Glad to hear you were able to work a larger tank into the budget! Fishy will thank you! It's so hard walking away from sick fish; you want to save them all! And it's even more difficult when there's one you've fallen in love with, but I think, yeah, walking away is good for now. I just walked away from a gorgeous 3" chocolate pom pom oranda yesterday that was sick. It killed me! I've bought sick fish with the full knowledge they were sick accepting the fact they might die, hoping I could nurse them back to health, but not for $25.00! Most died, one hasn't! But, after this draining long bout you have with Fishy, you need a break and some R&R time! Sink your love and interests into setting up a great and gorgeous home for Fishy!

Lots of us find that we're better off not even looking at the goldfish at the LPS. That way you're not tempted to rescue anyone and you don't walk away feeling guilty. These days I just walk in the store, go straight to the aisle with the filter media or whatever I need, and then leave again. It also saves me from feeling ticked off at the store when I see sick fish.

Actually, my favorite option is to buy stuff online from www.goldfishconnection.com or www.drsfostersmith.com. With GFC you are supporting a goldfish-friendly small business and with Drs. Foster and Smith you get low prices and cool catalogs to look at. And you're not supporting a big box store that provides bad advice and marginal fish care.

Guest Kandoanythingnow

Man Mom, am i glad you didn't put yourself up to that challenge, remember the pidgeon.

Just to let everyone know, my mother (Roni) is a bit of a collector of dicarded, sick or hurt animals....I love her to death but my dad, he hates it....

That is, however the way I ended up with my cat Squeaker, but i digress.....

After dealing with fishy, I think you need to rest, expessally if you even Think you broke another toe, no matter how cute or capable you think you are... :ignore Wow, that sounded kinda harsh....i'm sorry mom, please don't take that wrong...I just dont want you to put your heart into something that might not make it again...

But.....I am proud of you mom, you did well in taking care of fishy...And not picking up that comet...

I Love you... :painting: And I miss you too.

I had a similar experience recently. My fish Sheldon was just recovering from Ich and I found this fish at a store that was hurt and being chewed at by other fish. I wanted to try to help him soooo bad and I wrote on here asking for advice. I got the same suggestions as you did, explaining how careful you must be not to contaminate the water and it scared me to death. After considering everyone's advice I decided not to get the fish. I am really glad I chose that. Soon after Sheldon got sicker and if I had gotten that other fish I would have been panicked that that was the reason. I believe you did the right thing, especially for Fishy : )

Lots of us find that we're better off not even looking at the goldfish at the LPS. That way you're not tempted to rescue anyone and you don't walk away feeling guilty. These days I just walk in the store, go straight to the aisle with the filter media or whatever I need, and then leave again. It also saves me from feeling ticked off at the store when I see sick fish.

Actually, my favorite option is to buy stuff online from www.goldfishconnection.com or www.drsfostersmith.com. With GFC you are supporting a goldfish-friendly small business and with Drs. Foster and Smith you get low prices and cool catalogs to look at. And you're not supporting a big box store that provides bad advice and marginal fish care.

I completely agree. The fact that I do not have enough tanks/tankspace helps to resist. :exactly

Man Mom, am i glad you didn't put yourself up to that challenge, remember the pidgeon.

Just to let everyone know, my mother (Roni) is a bit of a collector of dicarded, sick or hurt animals....I love her to death but my dad, he hates it....

That is, however the way I ended up with my cat Squeaker, but i digress.....

After dealing with fishy, I think you need to rest, expessally if you even Think you broke another toe, no matter how cute or capable you think you are... :ignore Wow, that sounded kinda harsh....i'm sorry mom, please don't take that wrong...I just dont want you to put your heart into something that might not make it again...

But.....I am proud of you mom, you did well in taking care of fishy...And not picking up that comet...

I Love you... :painting: And I miss you too.

:wub: I Miss My Babies. :heart I love you too sweetling, but SSSShhhhhh! :rolleyes: you're not supposed to tell on me. Matter of fact, I didn't break them, I just sprained two of them. So there! :P

I didn't get the fish, and I haven't regretted it too much. I have enough with cats and fishy right now, and I am trying to talk my husband into letting me foster a dog. They accepted our bid on the house next door and soon we will own 1/2 acre of land with 2 houses. The new one needing too much work... we are talking to contractors. With all that, I don't have time for another "pet" project as my hubby calls them. Besides....., I usually find homes for most of the babies I save. I only have four cats left. ROFL